Building regs or planning approval to install a second front door?

Hello Do I need to get planning permission or building regs approval to install a second front door to my ground floor flat, where previously there was just a blank section of wall? I want to install the new front door on the front of the house. The current "front" door is at the back of the building. Yes, I am the freeholder of the building.

Thank you

Brad J

Reply to
Brad J

You'll certainly need building regs approval for the lintel to the new opening. I'm not sure about the planning permission, but quite possibly. especially if it faces the road. In any case, a call to the local council will get the answer.

Things get more complicated if you want the door to be more than 50% glass, as well.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My immediate neighbour has just been required to apply for PP to turn a door into a window. It would be PD if was a house rather than a flat.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Heavens! We half walled up a door and put a window in the top half, it never occurred to us that there's be a need for pp ... It's a bit late now I suppose, it must be at least 20 years ago.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for the input - but PD? What is that?

I think there used to be a door in the place where I want to install the new door. I'm tempted to just go ahead and do it without telling the council. I don't really want them paying visits to my place... Or would that be a seriously foolish move? The door will open onto my own land - albeit only a couple of feet of it, beyond which is the public pavement.

Brad J

Reply to
Brad J