Door to garage - building regs

I need to cut a doorway from a utility room into a garage but would prefer not to have a 100mm step, or to slope the garage floor away from the access door. It seems that the spirit of the regs could be met by forming a 100mm deep channel on the garage side of the door threshold so that any liquids are ducted to the outside - is there anywhere that states this is (or isn't) an acceptable solution?

Reply to
nospam

I am no expert on this, but AIR if the garage floor is at the same level as the lobby, a deep sill is acceptable (aka a trip-over?!). How deep, I don't know, perhaps 100mm i.e. as deep as the step, nor do I know if your proposed alternative is acceptable. You could simply ring your local council building control officer and ask.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

When I did a similar job some 30 years ago, the door had to be 1/2hr FR and fitted with an intumescent seal. No idea if the BR have changed but it seemed sensible at the time

Reply to
Bob Minchin

burning liquids won't be .........no good...in Scotland anyway

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Clarification: my use of 'deep' is open to misinterpretation here, especially as the OP is talking about a deep channel. 'High' would be a better term.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I would have thought that heavy vapours would rapidly fill a narrow channel and float across to the house, whereas the same would not be true for a 100mm high threshold - with the whole floor area acting as a wide channel.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker