British Gas Rip Off

Well I did the math on this job by getting the prices for all the bits and bobs (and no, I didn't get them to install any rads) and adding a supposed labor charge
I matched their total by adding about 5% to the trade purchase price of all parts, (I'm sure I've missed out a fair bit, and they did a small amount of building and repair work) and assuming that the 2 guys here are charged out at 45 per hour. On top of everything I did get a 210Ltr Albion recovery tank for the price of the next smaller one down.
They may be expensive, but, the work is very tidy, they arrived on time at 8am each day, I get a 6 year warranty, good call out times - should I need to call them, 6 years low rate payment option (which was the deal clincher), and after seeing so many 'Rogue trader' programmes on TV I just didn't want to risk using anybody else.
Thanks for all your help
BTW - Stay Virus Free by getting a Mac!!

all
What is the trade purchase price of parts? When buying electrical supplies I know that the trade price is not the lowest price. With the buying market of BG I would assume they are making much more the 5% on parts.
Adam

And application free :-(
Suz wrote:

Not so. MOST stuff you really need works on a MAC. Drawing and creative art works bette.
You can even run a virtual PC in a box on one.
Sadly most games don't, tho.

Depends what sort of games you like.
Lots at www.macgold.co.uk No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

I've got a Mac but it doesn't keep my PC virus-free... Must be doing something wrong somewhere...
I think that should say.
Stay Virus free, use Linux and avoid Microsoft.
Actually use any mail client/new reader other than Outlook.
On 9 Oct 2003 02:00:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:34:26 UTC, Lawrence

OK, but no need to use Linux (a relative newbie). There's always, FreeBSD (rock solid), or a non-UNIX style system is even better (plenty of UNIX-specific exploits exist too).
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

The recent spate of 'Microsoft' nasties didn't spare all Macs either.
Mary
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:45:36 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

Nary a problem here....not a Mac, not Windows, not Linux....!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

It was indiscriminate.
I was getting about 2,000 a day until my server sorted it out.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

As was I - until I changed my email address. The one at the top of this post no longer works. (I've corrected the spelling of my surname for the new address.)
Sheila Viemeister
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:51:36 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

My wife got a load - which I filtered out for her.
I got seven in total. Maybe because it is known that the worm won't send to email addresses with the word 'spam' in them. My email address ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) is valid, but fulfils that requirement.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

But presumably they wouldn't 'work' on a Mac any more than on my Acorn? And they are thus just a form of very annoying spam.
--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

either.
True - the payload wouldn't be runnable - but having your inbox filled with the it (with varying subject lines and from addresses) is very annoying, though I only got a handful of them on my personal account, and my work's email server filted them all out from my work account.
David Hearn wrote:

It caused me quite a few problems - I use an old YahooMail account when travelling, and that has a mailbox limit of 6MB. My mailbox was filling up within 5-12 hours most of last week.
Most of it wasn't the 142k virus emails themselves, but the bounce messages relating to messages which had my address spoofed into the header - for some reason still 142k, though for no visible reason.
--
Chris
-----

Oh yes. But when you get so many in a day the annoyance is extreme, it virtually ties up your internet.
Mary

But it ties up the internet - or ISP - regardless of the computer you use. I'm with Argonet, which is almost exclusively Acorn, and it was brought to its knees through shear weight of the incoming worms a couple of weekends ago.
--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Quite.
Mary

Apart from an increase in background noise from virused people via email, this piece of news failed to make it to uk.comp.sys.mac where I hang out. Noone there can remember seeing a live Mac virus is over 4 years. I have seen two in my time (user since '86), the last one was so benign we only discovered the source computer was virused because of an infected zip, there were no symptoms.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby