Britains' oldest boiler..

Or its a 25 year old, low water content boiler with a copper heat exchanger which works at about 80%+ efficiency with a proper control system with timer/stats on each zone. It heats the house and all the hot water too.

Reply to
dennis

You don't know much about boilers then. A combi is a system boiler with a water section added. Some are clearly not complex at all. Look at the link for the Atmos I gave. It shows the innards of the heat exchanger. The DHW is just another coil in the heat exchanger; the small red tube. It doesn't even have a 3-way valve, acting like a multi-point. You have to know the market and what is on offer and most of all understand the technologies behind it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You got the best of breed 25 years ago, which is not representative of 25 year old boilers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I assume theyre trying to soften customers up for a new boiler. Putting a 17 yr old boiler in there is simply daft.

And they dont seem to have done their research too good, I could have pointed them to a 1930s boiler still in use, and I'm not in the trade. Mind you I suspect people still running ancients are in no rush to draw attention ot the fact.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If I were to sign up to a contract from Powergen, they would take my money in a hurry, say my 30 yr+ Glowworm couldn't be repaired at the first hint of a problem, then charge £2000+ to install a completely new but unreliable one. Granted that the new one is more energy efficient, it could take 10yrs to recoupe the outlay, after allowing for an essential service contract in the meantime. So until the old boiler becomes unrepairable, or I move house, it is definitely staying there.

john2

Reply to
john2

You get what you pay for. Fit a cheap and nasty boiler and it is unreliable. Fit a Glow Worm condenser (Vaillant made in Holland), Vaillant (made in Holland and Germany), Viessmann (Germany), Atmos (Holland), ACV (Belgium), Eco-Hometec (Germany), Quantum (England)etc and they last and last and rarely go wrong. If you buy a Ladas of the boilers then don't complain.

10 years? As they drop your bills by 30-40% that will be quite quick, and as fuel keeps rising, quicker than you think.

A foolish view.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They read out an email I sent them, only a few minutes after I sent it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

And they've done /that/ to me a couple of times as well! Havnig them ring up and ask if you'll do an interview is odd though. Trying to get the kids to shut up long enough is the hard bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmm.. I've always found that getting the interviewer to shut up for long enough was harder....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was about to make that point and claim my £5..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. I know enough to know that they didn't want a combi. 1.5 bar max mains pressure, very hard water, large house; only an idiot would install a combi.

A combi is a combi and is not a system boiler.

Yeah, thank s for that recommendation, Dr. Drivel. (Makes mental note, avoid recommended boiler like a very virulent & incurable plague).

Reply to
Aidan

I knew somebody would, that's why I got in first!

I'll spend the£5 for you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You've been 'done' by Humphrys?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I well remember the Telegraph reporting a major equipment theft from a BBC TV Centre control room I discovered - being the first one of the crew in that day.

They simply made up 95% of the article.

That was many years ago, but facts never got in the way of a good story for any paper.

Of course that was years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I don't let 'em get a word in edgeways.

Reply to
Guy King

This is, as usual, total crap from dribble.

My brother had a BF BE floorstander with cast iron heat exchanger replaced by a condenser after BG said they couldn't maintain it anymore under their service contract. 18% saving in gas costs - and take my word for it he knows how to work these things out accurately.

The replacement breaks down at least twice a year. And is broken at this moment leaving them with no heating or hot water for 4 days - really useful in the NE of Scotland.

Of course if it stays broken this could well make the gas saving of 40% that dribble says.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing changes, the Daily Mail edited a letter I wrote to them complaining about their misreporting of the pre-announcement of VED changes in this year's budget, removed all references to their misreporting and incompetence and published it on their website, so heavily cut and altered I can scarcely recognise it.

The Radio Times once published my name as a competition winner, never gave me the prize and refused to answer any correspondence relating to the subject.

"Horizon" misrepresented my research and refused to publish a retraction or even an explanation.

The latest press reports on the work I do at present are so biased/misunderstood that they are effectively worthless.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Feedback" on Radio 4 read out a sycophantic email from a "Mary Fisher" recently, I would sue them if I were you, it made the sender sound like a brainless schoolgirl and people may assume it was you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Of course.

Real bread.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You are John Humphrys and I claim my £5.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .I SAID YOU ARE JOHN HUMPHRYS AND I CLAIM MY £5

If you'll let me finish ....

Reply to
Mary Fisher