Moving non-condensing boiler -can it be done?

Our new house has the boiler in the living room. We don't like the noise it makes and it's quite ugly so I have been working out how to move it into a different room. I was planning to physically move the boiler and do the non-gas pipework myself. When I phoned a plumber to get a quote for the gas work involved I was told that because our boiler isn't condensing (it's a Potterton Suprima 50L) we couldn't move it as it would be classed as an installation and all new boilers installed after April 05 must be condensing.

I've been browsing the web and it looks like he's right. Does anyone know anything to the contrary? I know there are exceptions but I get the impression they only apply if there is something about the property which makes fitting a condensing boiler expensive. I don't think the fact that we already have a 2 year old working boiler and buying a new one would be expesive counts -am I right?

thanks for any advice Thomas

Reply to
thomas.rynne

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

According to my friendly local Corgi bloke, yes you're right. We had a new combi fitted approx 18 months ago, and as part of a subsequent loft conversion want it moving upstairs into the loft. "No go" is his reply :-(

If you find out different, please do let us/me know on here!

Reply to
somebody

I think you're right. I'd try and put up with this boiler for a bit longer and as soon as the "Lockout Problem" starts then make plans for a new one.

A new PCB to fix the "Lockout Problem" will be over £200 (or

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I mean, it's a nearly new boiler and replacing it with new will use up far more of the earths resources and produce more pollution than the 'old' boiler would ever have produced.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Ask your BCO first. They will probably swear for 10 minutes about all the time wasting extensions of building regulations and say that of course you can move the existing boiler, whatever it says in the approved documents.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If that doesn't work, ask more CORGI fitters - one of them may display some common sense.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Why won't you do the gas work, in practice water is most likely to cause damage. Is your soldering up to it?

Reply to
Fred

Not true, a mate of mine had an new non-condensing backboiler (Baxi?) fitted a couple of months ago replacing and aging 1970's Baxi model. Plumber worked out not possible to fit condensing boiler without major rework, so changed like for like. Works fine, gas bills dropped slightly, but most likely as converted to a fully pumped system rather than gravity HW.

Reply to
Ian_m

That would have been possible under the exemption assessment procedure which probably won't be available for the OP as a short flue and the drain will likely be possible from the loft.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I just phoned building control and after looking it up to check he said the plumber was right and I can't move the old boiler. Looks like we're stuck with it in the living room until it breaks down. I might try to find another corgi plumber but they're very hard to get hold of.

I'm really getting tired of all the regulations now. It's putting me off DIY as the phone calls involved in working out what work you can and can't do are becomming as complicated as the job itself.

Thomas

Reply to
thomas.rynne

You may be able to swing it under an "improvement" type application. By proving that the house after the modification is better energywise than the building before, they should allow it.

i.e. put a building notice in for the moved boiler and a layer of loft insulation. Because the house will have improved energy efficiency, it might be approvable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm not convinced you actually spoke to the BCO - more like a receptionist as they had to "look it up".

Go in person and ask for a quick word with the BCO in person. At the end of the day moving the boiler isn't making the installation any worse and replacing the boiler just for beaurocracy's sake is patently more damaging to the environment than waiting for the current one to see its life out.

Hope you are going to whinge at your MP!

And try some more gas fitters if that doesn't work...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I emailed building control and got this response. It's not looking good :)

-- Dear Mr Rynne

I would confirm the comments made by your plumber that the boiler needs to be a condensing boiler are correct. In exceptional circumstances non condensing boilers can be installed but there is an assessment procedure that needs to be carried out, your reasons for not providing a condensing boiler are not applicable. Further information can be found on the ODPM web site,

. Your plumber will need to issue a certificate on completion of the work and he will need to be satisfied that the boiler meets the requirements.

Reply to
thomas.rynne

I don't like the sound of all this. I will be wanting to move a boiler from bedroom to a kitchen. I may have to just do it myself.

Can't you get a gasman to disconnect (if you don't DIY), move it yourself, plumb yourself, then arrange for it to need to be "fixed" for gas, then arrange separately for a landlords certificate. So nobody knows it's been "moved" except for you. Does that sound feasible. Sometime the law is an ass. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson