Britains' oldest boiler..

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Can't do - it's modern.

Reply to
Guy King

Well, as long as they don't still do it, it's OK.

Talking of good stories.... I did love this one from Auntie yesterday.. Especially the photo.

than Chirac walking out of the EU meeting.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Where can we read these works so we can judge for ourselves?

Reply to
dennis

In newspapers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There is little point in ripping and replacing a working system on cost saving grounds alone, unless you are spending vast amounts on fuel. However when it does need replacing for some other reason, then it is well worth choosing carefully so as to get as much advantage as you can.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ahh right... new boiler of the month I see.

Reply to
John Rumm

But they are biased and worthless. What I want to know is why which requires unbiased reports to look at.

Reply to
dennis

Perish the thought! How could such a notion even come anywhere near your mind?

I've just had three days in hospital and a visitor gave me his paper, full of budget stuff. I rarely see newspapers so it was a novelty.

I have no reason to think that any of the items were made up.

Must go down the garden now, the fairies will have missed me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

;-)

I'm waiting for my brother to tell me BG says it's got to be replaced despite being only 5 years old and costing over 3000 quid to have installed.

Latest is the immersion has failed. The storage tank is mounted high up in the kitchen - I presume a legacy of the original Aga system when they bought the house. The cylinder was changed, obviously, when the first CH boiler was fitted, but not re-sited to somewhere more suitable or even later when the boiler was replaced. And there's not enough clearance to the ceiling to remove and replace the immersion. And the kitchen had a recent expensive refit where he spent ages making a decent cupboard to box it in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you try that again in English?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
legin

That's why the system I have is better than most systems fitted now. Even now most systems just don't have the correct controls to be efficient.

Reply to
dennis

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

On a related note - when Dad moved into his house he fitted new windows because the old single-glazed ones were rotten and anyway, he wanted double glazing.

About five years later a salesman doorstepped him and told him that all his DG was obsolete and should be replaced. Dad asked him for that in writing, which the silly bugger did.

You can see where this is going, can't you? The salesdroid was from the same firm that fitted the first lot and offered a guarantee considerably longer than they'd been in for.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh sure.. if he sells three before Easter, he gets a trip to Torry; six and there's the return ticket as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL!

Did Dad have them replace the originals?

They come to us and try to sell us dg. We tell them that all our windows are dg'd. They argue with us because they can't see the thick plastic frames of conventional dg. We fitted factory sealed units into the existing wooden frames.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

and? What happened next?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

He had a good go. I don't suppose he really wanted the hassle, but he enjoyed making trouble.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah - so it's hereditory :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If it were a promotion put on by his management then you would expect the rewards to be the other way around ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't worry, even Aberdonians would prise open their wallets and club together for the return ticket if it looked like Dribble was becoming a permanent resident.

Although I think he might come back of his own accord after his first encounter with a Torry fishwife.

Owain

Reply to
Owain