Bosch dishwasher door catching

The door on our 4+1/2 year old Bosch dishwasher has started catching when we open it. The d/w continues to work fine.

Would this be an easy diy repair of adjusting something behind the inside door covering or should I resign myself to a call out repair cost? I'm concerned that if I do nothing the problem will accelerate to non-functioning of the d/w itself.

Reply to
stejonda

Do the feet want adjusting? Check if the casing moves a bit as the door is opened or closed.

Dishwashers twist easily of not levelled properly and this causes the catch to have to pull the casing back into alignment.

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

No, the dishwasher is solidly seated on the (concrete) floor.

I rather fear an enthusiastic teenager may have stressed the door when reaching for a clean plate. :(

Reply to
stejonda

I had exactly the same problem with a Whirlpool/IKEA dishwasher, the door wouldn't fully open. Took side off to find a piece of broken plastic had fallen into the hinge. The broken plastic was the remains of a kind of pully (except fixed, non-rotating) that metal tape slid round as you opened the door, and connected to the door counter balance spring.

Phoned up CPC who looked it up in their exploded parts pictures, and it was apparently called the front door friction brake. No one had ever ordered one before, so they added it into their computer system, giving it a part number, and I order 4 as it cost next to nothing, and we have two such dishwashers in various parts of the family.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel