Blockwork cavity wall with old Imperial Facing Bricks

Hi All,

I am in the process of building an extension onto an old 1930's semi, I have found the imperial bricks, which are an odd size (235x112x75mm) and trying to find blocks for these. As you know normally three bricks high plus mortor is the same as one block but with the 75 mm bricks I would be 30mm out by the time I got to the top of the third course. Someone mentioned to me that you can get oversized blocks to compensate for this but I can't find any anywhere.

Can someone please help, where can I get this type of block, or if I am barking up the wrong tree please can you tell me how to compensate for the additional size of the bricks in my blockwork?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Richard

Reply to
richard.mccue

We're building an extension on our 1930's semi using imperial bricks and metric blocks. It doesn't matter that the horizontal joints don't coincide precisely. Put your wall ties in every second block course and bend them down a little if necessary to the nearest brick course. This will be the right spacing to hold your cavity wall bats in place. Alternatively you could run a course of cut blocks (angle grinder or hammer/bolster) or bricks in the block wall and vary your spacing that way but I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble or expense to make them coincide excatly because it isn't necessary.

HTH

Reply to
James

i guess its not ok to use vertical joints for them too

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For what?

Reply to
Phil L

Blocks are sold in one size and bricks in many (65mm, 70mm, 73mm, 75mm etc etc) so it's pointless trying to get horizontal joints to line up....you can get oversized blocks but they are twice the price as normal blocks and even then you will encounter the same 'problem', although it isn't actually a problem....this is the main reason why stainless steel tie wires were brought in, prior to these, everything was just mild steel, but galvanised, these were fine, except brickies would give each one a crack with the trowel to bend them down or up and the galv would break off, hence SS ones being the norm nowadays.

Anyone who has laid bricks or blocks before will have no problems with normal sized blocks

Reply to
Phil L