Blocking up redundant under floor heating vents before carpeting

Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer in use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

In article , David.WE.Roberts writes

Cover with a patch of 9 or 12mm ply (to stop a foot or furniture leg going through), omit underlay over the patch (sitting proud) and completely over-carpet to give a level surface.

The patched area wont have the compliance of the underlayed section but as vents will be near the wall it won't matter much and it is better to have them properly protected.

Reply to
fred

I'd be interested in a solution also. I have the same problem.

Reply to
brass monkey

Underlay is largely responsible for the life of a carpet, so if there is any traffic at all over a solid bit, I would expect that to show quite quickly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can you remove the vents and board over?

Reply to
Mark

Solid floor with crumbly tar covering - so no.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Fitters just stamped the grilles down then ran carpet over them :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts