blocking hot air vents.

Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

Reply to
Chris Holford

That's what I did the other week. Seems to work. One problem that I did have is that there was no wall below the vent, just the metal vent covered with some metal gauze. But stuck the plasterboard on with no-more-nail type adhesive and it seems OK so far.

For the floor vent in the kitchen I filled with rubble. Sealed with some cement and tiled over.

That was a couple of years ago and there have been no problems since.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

remove gauze, stuff with newspapers, bash gauze back about 3/4" below desired finished level and fill with bonding plaseter.

skim and sand back flush?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wow. Great potential for easy install of network, telephone, TV and speakers, and plumbed in Beer Taps ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

It must have been some dumb bathroom changer who did that who knew nothing of heating systems. How sad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , charles writes

Now I've moved in I find that the double glazing does not have any ventilation slots. If I block the redundant hot air vents the rooms would not have any ventilation at all if the windows are closed. One room has a gas fire connected to the chimney so presumably that room needs some air inlet when the gas fire is used; how best to do this? Do the other rooms need ventilation?

Reply to
Chris Holford

Best way is to replace gas heater with a balanced flue one. Not as good: make hole in wall, sleeve the cavity, fit grille.

NT

Reply to
NT