Block Paving Season?

I have just had a satisfactory quote for Block Paving my drive and part of front garden. However, the contractor can't do the job until the end of Jan

2005.

Question: Will the weather / temp / damp affect the quality of the work in any way? should I put it off until later?

Reply to
John

Sand can cause some problems as it should be dry before blocks are laid etc.but it should be easy to protect with tarpaulin as required.

Best place to ask is

and go the forum. You will need to register (free) before you can ask a question but no doubt your query has been asked before and there will be archive information.

The site also has very extensive information on construction details for block paving. A lot more to the work than it seems. "Knowledge is power" as they say. Majority of contractors are honest and decent - unfortunately a small minority gallop up your drive to quote you "happy".

The contractor should have given a breakdown of material costs etc.and drainage requirements. He should also indicate the levels he is going to use to drain surface water. BTW, what price per sq. metre is it going to cost you. £55 to £60 seems to be the norm

Reply to
sid

It will probably take longer to do, on my project wet weather slows stuff down. If its too wet we don't do excavating as it just makes a HUGE mess.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper
£3650 for approx 80 sq Metres
[...]

£45 a metre. Could be ok depending on where you live but I would check the spec given by your contractor against the info on the pavingexpert website. The sub-base is crucial to the longevity of the driveway. Drainage is another factor given the heavy rainfall experienced this year and the area to be block paved.

Colour of cheaper concrete block paving tends to fade over time. Clay pavers do not, but could be 50% more expensive. .

Reply to
sid