bituthene on garage roof

Hi all I've just covered my perennially leaky flat garage roof with Bituthane

3000 sheet. It seemed a good idea at the time as my brother-in-law (in the building trade) not only told me it was the stuff to use but supplied some, surplus to requirements of course.

Only after getting the first sheet down did I realise that the backing sheet, covered with the product name in large letters, didn't just peel off but was part of the finished effect. Not so good, when we look down on this roof from our front room. The next door neighbour won;t be crazy about it either.

It also occurs to me that, with all this on display, maybe this wasn't the use it was designed for. Sure enough, when I check the manufacturer's website

the use mentioned is for basements and substructures. It doesn't say you can't use it on roofs, but doesn't say you can either.

So I'd like to cover this up both to hide the writing and to make sure it's weatherproof.

Can anyone offer adivice on what to do from here? Is bitumen paint the best option, or do you have any other suggestions?

TIA Ken

Reply to
Ken

I don't think the bituthene will take very kindly to being laid out in the hot sun next summer, either. If you MUST keep it, maybe a couple of coats of heat-reflective roof paint would be helpful, (but I wouldn't bet on it).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Peters is best suggestion. Peel off polythene sheet, (you will probably have to lift the laps) and a couple of coats of solar reflective-paint should do short term.

I have used it as a covering for concrete water reservoirs but it had an earth covering then

Reply to
Bookworm

Cover with 19mm Gravel.

Reply to
keith_765

Could be a solution but extra weight and inclined to clog drainage of roof when the inevitable moss gets hold.

Reply to
Bookworm

a little scrap copper/brass/bronze might see to that. Chippings work as a covering anyway.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The idea of using stone chippings on flat roofs initially came about as a way of achieving AA, AB or AC spread-of-flame rating for bitumen felt roofs within 6m of a boundary, as required by Building Regs. A minimum of 12.5mm thickness of chippings is required, the colour doesn't matter.

Chippings can provide a measure of protection to felt roofs, but the main benefit only happens if the chippings are white (quartz, spar etc) to reflect solar heat. Sharp chippings can actually puncture bitumen felt, especially in hot weather, and Bituthene is even softer. There is no point in using chippings on this roof unless you're applying for Building Regs and it's within 6 metres of the boundary. Solar-reflective paint will do the same job far more cheaply and easily. Bear in mind this roof will probably only last a short time anyway.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

All Many thanks for the responses. Looks like heat-reflecting paint is the answer then. Fortunately the garage is on the north-east corner and shaded by the house most of the time, so it could be worse.

Peter - what did you have in mind for a short time? Weeks? Months? Years?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

TBH, I don't really have any idea Ken. That remark was based on the assumption that if Bituthene was any good as a roofing material we'd all be using it. Maybe you've discovered the answer for flat roofs! As they say, time will tell.

A bloke up the road painted his house with blue printing ink a few years ago. It never set properly and during the next hot spell it started running down over the glass and the brick walls. Nice colour though. I expect your roof will last a bit longer than that! :)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor