Leaky prefab garage roof

Hi.

I have an old 1970's pre-fab garage, which seems to have concrete roof tiles (they're more like long sheets really), but the roof has developed leaks around where fixings go through the roof on to the the metal frame underneath.

Is there any advice on the best way to fix these leaks?

I'm not even sure if it's safe to lean a ladder against the roof?

I'd be very grateful for any help

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McGee

"Mark McGee" wrote on Thursday (18/12/2003) :

They will likely be corrugated asbestos. They are usually fairly solid, but I suggest spreading your weight with boards.

The fastenings will probably be hook type bolts, hooking on to the metal frame, with a plastic washer providing waterproofing. Replace everyone of these bolts and perhaps the seals. A grinderette is the easy way to remove the bolts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Using a grinder near asbestos sheeting ?

Couldn`t a slip result in lots of loose fibres ready to be inhaled ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote on Thursday (18/12/2003) :

Not if the bolts are cut in the easiest place, from inside close to the bottom of the 'J'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the suggestion. Asbestos is a bit worrying. I have a couple of quetions;

The garage does indeed have hook bolts. Are they easy to get hold of?

One of these sheets has a split in the middle, running along most of its length. Any suggestions how best to patch it up?

Thanks Mark.

Reply to
Mark McGee

"Mark McGee" wrote on 19/12/2003 :-

I believe it is called white asbestos and the stuff to be concerned about is the blue asbestos, although you should still take sensible precautions...

Wear a mask and overalls whilst handling it, keep it damp when cutting to stop dust flying.

The J bolts will probably be available at the better hardware stores and certainly the bolt wholesalers. Failing that the garage manufacturers will stock them. TV antenna installers also use something similar.

You might be able to repair a cracked panel by the use of what I think is called Densil tape.... It is a roll of sacking like material, heavily impregnated with a thick grease. Others might have better suggestions for that repair though.

I have a similar roof on my garage, but it uses wood beams for support. The roof is nailed on with special galvanised nails which have a large mushroom head.

Around twenty years ago I refixed it all, but I was unable to find the proper sealing washers for the job. I ended up getting hold of an old truck tyre inner tube, which I cut into 2" square to fit under the nails and provide the seal. It has worked perfectly and there has been no deterioration of the rubber inner tube seals in all that time.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Flashband. The wider the better.

Reply to
Niall

The sheets as I recall are abestos cement, which is slightly safer than the normal white asbestos, which is a lot better than blue asbestos.

Frankly, if it's a LT project why not replace the sheets as they fail or leak or split with the modern ?bitumen? version of them. You have to dispose of the old one properly - the council will advise and it does vary by location from wrap-in-plastic to special dumping areas.

DO wear a mask for "Toxic particles", it doesn't cost much.

-- Dorothy Bradbury

for fans, books & other items

Reply to
dorothy.bradbury

Thankyou for all of your suggestions.

I think I'll try to find some J-bolts and something acceptable as a replacement seal.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McGee