repairing flat roof garage

if i repaired my leaking flat roof double garage by putting a pitched roof on - will I necessarily get planning grief? or building control grief? or both?

thanks jim

Reply to
jim

Yes and yes.

Planning because you're altering the external appearance, in particular the roofline.

Building control because you're replacing with a different sort of structure rather than repairing the existing structure.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Planing possibly, possibly not. If you are in a conservation area, or listed building etc then yes. However you may be ok under permitted development if its just a bog standard garage.

Building control; depends on the situation. If its an internal garage (which sounds unlikely if it has its own roof) then it may come under BC, but usually garages don't IIRC.

The easiest way be sure is to phone the local authority informally and ask. Building control departments are usually very easy to talk to and helpful. The planning department ought to be able to give you an answer in principle at least.

Reply to
John Rumm

On that same topic, what's the deal with a jerry-built shed (1960s vintage) that's attached to the house and also forms the party wall (nothing on the neightour's side), where I want to raise the height of the eaves by another course of blocks to give some headroom and also to replace the current ugly horizontal corrugated cement boards with a green roof?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

mmmm but heightwise ought less than 4metres to ridge is allowed without PP?

But ISTR if it's less than 30m2 floor (is it still same as old rules?) building ctrl doesn't apply usually?

OK mine is a bit bigger - what's the odds of being rumbled and how onerous would it be ? could they *make* me take it down and rebuild it all to a certain spec - it's only an outbuilding that I wish to improve the function and life of.....

jim

Reply to
jim

I was imagining a garage that was part of the house. John Rumm's opinion is a good one.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Beware: My father asked the planning department whether he would need planning permission for an outbuilding (more like a shed really) and was told no permission was needed. A while later he received a letter from the council telling him that planning permission was required and it had been denied! Initially they were demaning that he demolish the building!

Reply to
Mark

Did he have the original words from the planning dept on paper?

Sometimes I have seen a suggestion that one gets a notification of *not* needing PP from the planning dept.

Reply to
John Rumm

mmmm a "plan drawer" was touting a while back that he could get local council confirmation that a certain scheme would not need PP - presumably thiswould be written on headed paper! - anyone know the procedure/name of document?

cheers Jim

Reply to
jim

I can't recall this, unfortunately.