open
fuel
Much later. There is coal fired systems that are far cleaner than the old stations. It usually consists of grinding the coal into powder and scrubbed stacked.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 13:53:37 +0000, Huge wrote:

...and you can't make nuclear weapons from coal whilch was likely the real reason to subsidize the nuclear industry.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
writes:> >>> > Most of the mines were viable.

open
fuel
Nuclear power was a smoke screen for weapons. It can be said that nuclear power is cheap as it is a by-product of another system (weapons).

Getting rid of mines was political not economical.

Says it all. If there's one person that I distrust more than a government minister it's King Arthur.
PoP

I trust Arthur Scragill.

subsidising
Military matters were not in their minds when they finished off the coal industry. It was spite. They would ruin many people's lives, and affect the economy, just for spite. If we had a full federal system, central government would not have been able to do what it did. The regional assembly, where mines were and their economy depended on them would have prevented this occurring.

A world record. I agree with Adam.
--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Shows the power of the press and media. His job was as a union leader, and he did his very best for his members. If 10% of our politicians did the same we'd be the best country in the world in every way.
And I *have* met the man, and would be proud to have him as a friend.
--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman wrote:

I haven't, I'm sad to say.

ditto.
Dave - was that you I heard on PM last night?
--
Ben Blaney
Must try harder

Yes, and an honest man in politics is rare enough to worth being a friend. I'd class him rather in with Ken Livingston in some ways. The press hate politicians who are too honest.
--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Heh heh - they read out an e-mail from me, rather badly. They got two of the mics wrong - and they were only letters and numbers, so hardly difficult to read out.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:58:35 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

So did we find out what mic. is actually used to relay the bells of the Westminster clock tower? Don't you have any BBC tech. contacts?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

To quote Eddie Mair - no.

Many. And have had as many different answers about what is currently in use from them. That was the purpose of the e-mail. And I'd guess they asked their studio engineers who didn't know for certain either.
I know the original mics were STC 'apple and biscuit' omni directional - one and a spare, each with its own circuit to both BH and Bush House. I've got that from an old BBC handbook, with pics. But I remember *hearing* they were changed for AKG D202 - similar to the mics you see on the desk in parliament on the prime minister etc - when everything went stereo in the late '80s. But no one can confirm or deny this.
I'd guess - not having seen them - that whatever they are - are enclosed in a large 'windshield' to protect them from the elements, so short of dismantling could be anyone of hundreds of makes in there. You don't need an expensive highly directional condenser mic for this use - just something half decent and above all reliable.
--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Perhaps better equipment/a quieter listening environment? I wasn't listening at high level - just about the level speech would normally be.

I'm just amazed I've not got a definitive answer. You can to most things - eventually.
--
*No sentence fragments *

writes

Inferior stuff with high sulphur content and very polluting
--
geoff

Andy Hall wrote:

We've moved to the days where big business and the politicians in their pockets hold the country to ransom. Progress?
--
Ben Blaney
Must try harder