BG Central Heating breakdown care

Much later. There is coal fired systems that are far cleaner than the old stations. It usually consists of grinding the coal into powder and scrubbed stacked.

Reply to
IMM

Nuclear power was a smoke screen for weapons. It can be said that nuclear power is cheap as it is a by-product of another system (weapons).

Reply to
IMM

subsidising

Military matters were not in their minds when they finished off the coal industry. It was spite. They would ruin many people's lives, and affect the economy, just for spite. If we had a full federal system, central government would not have been able to do what it did. The regional assembly, where mines were and their economy depended on them would have prevented this occurring.

Reply to
IMM

Sadly this is not the case. Heating in the east is still wood/coal/oil fired. As economic activity increases, the pollution will get much, much worse. Some forecasts ( I think it was Newsweek) claim that the whole world will be covered in a carbon particle dust cloud within the next 50yrs.

On another point, Arthur Scargill is a failure as a trade union leader, as his actions caused the loss of most of his members jobs. Calling a heating strike as you go into the summer, when the generating stations have been stocking up for the previous year, was an act of monumental stupidity. Deep mined coal is uneconomic as a fuel with UK labour rates and more so with national insurance/tax increases. Surface mined coal is readily available from all over the world at much lower costs. UK coal in its present form has only survived courtesy of various government baleouts. Scargill could have negotiated a controlled rundown of the industry but failed to do so.

Whilst I have reservations about gas and oil fired electricity generation in their present form, in the long run, nuclear generation is the least polluting system on the planet, albeit disposal problems at end of life need improving.

I see we are being subjected to a proposal to bring in the minimum wage for

16 year olds. As IMO the minimum wage was only brought in to increase the NI and income tax grab( 10% wage increase=30% tax grab increase?), I guess the same trick is being worked again to fill the holes in Brown's overspent budget. With income and corporation tax revenues falling (how?, in spite of pseudo full employnent), one wonders when the bubble will burst?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

As boiler production increase to EU standards, the levels will be set for other parts of the world too. The third world will be dragged along too.

He saw the writing on the wall and only had one alternative. Not to do anything would against his contract of employment.

The overall cost to the UK was negative. Unemployment benefits, expensive imports, etc.

The disposal problems means it is the most polluting. Local combined heat and power generation systems, as they have in Sweden is the long term future. Or the Microgen CHP gas powered boiler connected to the grid. This is highly efficient as there are no line losses. If all the millions of new homes to be built in the UK had these fitted, there would be less need for major electricity infrastructure and the wind power generation can go ahead.

A minimum wage is "essential".

More right wing doom and gloom hoping.

Reply to
IMM

I think part of the reasoning here will be related to votes for Labour. I suspec they are getting worried that the general electorate are getting p'd off with them, and their majority is at stake.

A short time ago they were advocating voting at 16 via Lord Falconer:

makes sense by virtue of the fact that at age 16 the young ones haven't been crippled by university top-up fees, and by the time they have it will be too late for those youngsters who think that Blair and Co are the best thing since sliced bread.

The minimum wage applied to 16 year olds is the same process IMHO, make the 16/17 year olds feel that they've got a government doing something for them, and grab a few more votes to maintain them in power.

Yes, that is in my mind a major issue. One more term of Labour should do it. Unfortunately it will do the country in as well. Perhaps the upside is that by then they will have p'd off so many young people that Labour won't be in government again anytime in the next 20 years.

Whilst I hate Labour with a vengeance, part of me wants them to get back in because then the electorate will have a chance to equate conditions with a government that has been in power circa 10 years or more. And the electorate has a very long memory - it's only because many of the voters in the 70's have a headstone over their last resting place that they've managed to get in for the last 6 years.

What I do not want to happen is for (say) a Tory administration to get in and start correcting things, because there will definitely be some bad medicine in there. That means that at the following election Labour will get in, and it will be the same old game of ping-pong that brought this country into a state of crisis in the 70's.

PoP

PoP

Not another brainwashed Tory voter. My God, you obviously don't know.

Please read Who Runs Britain by Paxman and Who owns Britain By cahill. Then if you think the Tories have the common man in mind you are mad.

Reply to
IMM

I had heard that these pseudo-commies still existed, but never actually met on "in the wild".

I had typed up quite a good argument and then thought "What's the point?" There's no way of educating a commie.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Which commie do you refer?

Reply to
IMM

What good argument might this be. It can only have good grammar, as the content will be vacant.

Reply to
IMM

In message , Andrew writes

... But this would mean that Bush isn't going to get Mars as the 53rd state

Reply to
geoff

This is a diversion. The same thing that Kennedy did. Generally it's better to have a grandiose announcement like this when leading up to an election. Wars tend to be during mid terms.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They will have to figure out how to reconfigure Area 51 to look like the Mars landscape this time. What's the betting some gook will find a photograph of the 1969 moon landscape that directly correlates with the 2013 Mars landscape?

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Reply to
PoP

I haven't, I'm sad to say.

ditto.

Dave - was that you I heard on PM last night?

Reply to
Ben Blaney

The UK NHS is not a success,it is a failure and needs major surgery itself.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I have met him, but that is not too difficult when he used to live 2 miles away and a close member of your family is somewhere high up in the old NCB, and most of all the other relatives worked down a mine.

I am not sure about being a friend, maybe only if my enemies enemy is my friend. I would never be able to call him a liar thought.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A Dubya brainscan for example

Reply to
geoff

failure? Please????

Reply to
IMM

Failure.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Proof, figures, etc, not brainwashed Tory propaganda.

Reply to
IMM