Best depth within the opening for a UPVC window?

Hi friends,

I am replacing UPVC windows in my house. The walls are solid stone, and fairly thick. The existing windows are set back about 7" inside the opening (viewed from outside the house, that is). The adjoining house of the same costruction, has its windows set only about 2" back inside the opening. Which is best? I could do mine the same as next door's, for consistency of appearance, but are there any disadvantages to having them set so far out?

Many thanks for any opinions on this.

JD

Reply to
JD

Wooden windows historically tended to be set back within the wall to give the wood some extra protection. I doubt this makes any difference to the life of PVC. But you will tend to get more noise from rain and drips etc the closer the window is to the outside. But that may be less important than gaining a decent sized internal sill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Phil L" wrote in news:Exk7x.593565$ snipped-for-privacy@fx45.am:

That's what I was thinking. So I think I'll put them in the same position as the old ones.

Thank you (and to Dave also).

JD

Reply to
JD