Beeping from consumer unit

The other day I noticed a beeping noise, similar to the intermittent "chirp " that is emitted by dying smoke detectors. However, I've removed the batt eries from all three smoke detectors and the CO detector, and the beeping p ersists. I've narrowed it down to the consumer unit; at least when I open the cupboard door where the consumer unit is housed, the beeping/chirping i s louder. Inside the cupboard are the CU and the gas inlet "box". Can any one come up with an explanation? The noise is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Reply to
edwardwill

rp" that is emitted by dying smoke detectors. However, I've removed the ba tteries from all three smoke detectors and the CO detector, and the beeping persists. I've narrowed it down to the consumer unit; at least when I ope n the cupboard door where the consumer unit is housed, the beeping/chirping is louder. Inside the cupboard are the CU and the gas inlet "box". Can a nyone come up with an explanation? The noise is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Well provided you've not locked a parrot in their or other bird that can im mitate such sounds.....

below is unlikely but I had a similar noise I had an similar buzzing noise once which increased in magnitude as I drew more current, which I was very worried by. Started at around 3KW. At the time I had two remote sensors clammped around the incoming live. One was from my free npower unit, which had stopped working a few weeks bef ore, and another I had added recently.

I removed the npower clamp on unit, and all seemed to be working again with out the sound. The only thing I can think of was that the 2 clamp connector s might have been making some sort of transormer between the two and produc ing some sort of mechanical vibration but couldn't be sure. Anyway after the struggle of removing the clamp and breaking it, I wasn't g oing to put it back to check :)

It was also a day or so after my meter was replaced, so my fisrt thought wa s that it was something wrong in the meter or some sort of calibration it d id on itself but has no idea what it could be.

Reply to
whisky-dave

immitate such sounds.....

ew more current, which I was very worried by. Started at around 3KW.

efore, and another I had added recently.

thout the sound. The only thing I can think of was that the 2 clamp connect ors might have been making some sort of transormer between the two and prod ucing some sort of mechanical vibration but couldn't be sure.

going to put it back to check :)

was that it was something wrong in the meter or some sort of calibration it did on itself but has no idea what it could be.

It's not a buzzing noise. It's a regular "beep" or "chirp", exactly like t hat of a smoke detector when the battery is running down. There is no smok e detector or any other battery-driven device in the cupboard; only the gas "box" (big brown thing with a lever on it) and the consumer unit.

Reply to
edwardwill

Is the gas meter an electronic one? e.g my smart gas meter has a ten year battery (not user accessible).

Reply to
Andy Burns

IME, recent, removing the battery from a bleeping smoke detector (actually a heat detector in the kitchen), doesn't immediately stop the bleeping. There appears to be some sort of storage capacitor in there that holds charge for a while and decays only slowly, although I don't know how slowly. Something like a day or two, possibly.

Of course, that may be totally irrelevant, especially as you say the beeping seems louder when you open the cupboard containing the CU.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is extremely unlikely to be coming from the consumer unit. (unless it has some non standard battery controlled feature).

You mention a gas inlet box, the noise may well be coming from that but i am not sure what would be in that.

Ash Burton

mobile phone?

Reply to
Charles Hope

Or the electric meter.

Reply to
ARW

I'd expect those to just take power from the mains, mine does. Are there battery ones?

Reply to
Andy Burns

rp" that is emitted by dying smoke detectors. However, I've removed the ba tteries from all three smoke detectors and the CO detector, and the beeping persists. I've narrowed it down to the consumer unit; at least when I ope n the cupboard door where the consumer unit is housed, the beeping/chirping is louder. Inside the cupboard are the CU and the gas inlet "box". Can a nyone come up with an explanation? The noise is driving me nuts! Thanks.

ISTR that gas meters have a similar thing for when the battery is nearly ex pended. I should ring up your supplier and ask.

Reply to
harry

I believe the smart electricity meters do.

Reply to
ARW

Is the cupboard next to a party wall? If so, I'd check with your neighbour.

Reply to
RJH

Are the smoke detectors mains powered as well as battery? These will chirp if the battery is flat or removed. Because of the noise intensity it is often quite difficult to locate where it comes from.

Reply to
Peter Parry

replying to edwardwill, Richard wrote: I have the same problem of a chirping consumer unit....I see some correspondence ...did you get a solution/explanation?

Reply to
Richard

Last September he found a nearly dead smoke detector in the junk in the bottom of the cupboard.

Doesn't that interface of yours tell you the thread dates?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

He did? No mention of it in groups Google.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

replying to Vir Campestris, Richard wrote: No I didn't see that input - but while writing I can report that I've discovered the source of my chirp too.... In a neighbouring cupboard I have a fire alarm panel - it was making the chirp as the built in battery was failing.

Reply to
Richard

rp" that is emitted by dying smoke detectors. However, I've removed the ba tteries from all three smoke detectors and the CO detector, and the beeping persists. I've narrowed it down to the consumer unit; at least when I ope n the cupboard door where the consumer unit is housed, the beeping/chirping is louder. Inside the cupboard are the CU and the gas inlet "box". Can a nyone come up with an explanation? The noise is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Display device will chirp if it is out of sinc with the meters- blue light on bottom. Push down hard on the back to open and remove the battery for tw o minutes. Replace and the light on the bottom will be green and chirp will stop.

Reply to
julie.keys

Check the date of the OPs post you stupid bitch.

Reply to
ARW

I hope by 2 years in he solved it or perhaps he topped himself in the meantime.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff