Bed slats

So the not-so-little 16 year old sat down heavily on our (steel- framed) bed and snapped one of the slats. It looks like it was a weak one anyway as it had a knot where it snapped.

Has anyone had any experience of these things? My first reaction was to shape some timber to replace, but normally these things are shaped and sprung so maybe that won't work. On the other hand, I'll bet almost anything that it's near to impossible to get a new 'real' one to fit a king-size and, as it's only the one slat, how bad could a diy job be? I've no doubt someone will tell me......

Reply to
GMM

Swap a good one to the broken position and either patch up (epoxy glue a repair piece on the lower side) or replace (plywood) the broken one

- but ensure the repaired one is either at the top or bottom of the bed where it's under least load.

Reply to
RubberBiker

+1

Exactly what I've done in the past.

Al.

Reply to
Al

There are two types, the sprung ones are very thin plywood and sit in slots in the frame. If you lift the mattress off (ie. unload them) they will arch upwards. Much more commonly though they are simply lumps of wood which span the gap. If yours are sprung I can't offer advise but if they're simple slats then just replace with wood of the same thickness. Better still add a few more as the design is clearly on edge (most are).

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

In message , GMM writes

We have metal framed bed with those curved slats.

We bought our bed from the Iron Bed Company, now called Feather and Black it seems.

Wonder if they would sell you a spare?

Reply to
chris French

Some are, some are not. Take the matress off and have a look. Even if they are sprung just juggle a good one from the head or foot of the bed into the position of the bust one and either repair it or replace with a new suitable bit of ordinary timber.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you mean something like this?

sizes available depending on whether there are one or two slats across the span.

Andrew

Reply to
andrew_d_may