bathroom fan wiring

I've got an extractor fan which requires that it be connected to a double pole isolator switch.

The fan will operate from the lighting circuit when I turn the light on.

I'm trying to avoid festooning my bathroom with unnecessary pull strings hanging from the ceiling.

Can I fit a regular push button isolator switch in a bathroom or alternatively does the switch need to be in the bathroom at all? How about in the next room or in the loft for example?.

Reply to
andyv

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:15:07 -0800 (PST) someone who may be andyv wrote this:-

They should also run for a while after the light is turned off.

I haven't seen a push button isolator switch.

"Ordinary" switches can be installed in bathrooms provided they are in various locations (essentially out of reach of someone using a bath or shower) and suitable for the location.

It can be.

However, from your posting it sounds like you don't know enough to do an installation in a bathroom properly. If you live in England or Wales you also need to be aware of Mr Prescott's law.

Reply to
David Hansen

That means that you have to have the light on while using the bathroom, which is wasteful. For instance, I'm fresh and fragrant after my bath this morning, I didn't need the light on because there's a large window.

(our low wattage bathroom fan is governed by an humidistat, recommended by someone here)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:24:23 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Not necessarily, as there are many ways of turning on and off a fan. However, if it is connected to a light then it should run for a little after the fan is turned off.

Reply to
David Hansen

swtch return and an earth cable. My bathroom fan is 12V and runs from a transformer/timer also in the loft. The transformer/timer is run from the junction box via a 3 pole on/off fan switch, so that I can isolate the fan electrics should I need to do any work on the fan. The cable from the transformer to the fan is terminated in the bathroom by a ceiling rose just at the side of the fan and then a cable goes to the fan. The fan is on after the light goes off for about 5 minutes.

Reply to
the_constructor

Unfortunately our bathroom window (it's actually an en suite shower room I'm referring to ) is about the size of a letter box so we need the light on.

The isolator I was trying to describe is the type with a lever switch like a regular light switch, not a push button. I guess I could put one in the ceiling and this would be much better than one with a pull cord, now I know this is acceptable.

I don't know what Mr Prescott's law says but I'm guessing that as an unqualified amateur electrician I'm not actually supposed to do my own wiring any more?

Reply to
andyv

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:27:02 -0800 (PST) someone who may be andyv wrote this:-

Yes and no. Search for "Part P" and you will find lots of discussion.

Reply to
David Hansen

I fit them in the wall immediately outside the bathroom (ie, like a conventional flush-fitting rocker light switch) but up at ceiling level so it doesn't get switched off all the time.

David

Reply to
Lobster