Bath tap problem help please

I am not certain what the names of the various parts of a bath tap are, but I would guess Body and Cartridge. I have a problem that my bath taps fail to turn on. The are standard type that turn a number of turns clockwise to get full on. If I dissemble the faulty tap then reassemble it for a while it works then fails again. I can find no obvious fault when I dissemble it. Unfortunately they are Twyford taps, about 10 years old, and I can no longer get replacements. Any suggestions as to a cure would be most welcomed.

Reply to
Broadback

Clockwise? Most taps turn off clockwise.

My guess would be that the washer is sticking down. If you don't have mains pressure at the bath, just the pressure from the loft tank, then it won't be sufficient to unstick the washer. If this *is* what's wrong then there are a couple of things to do:-

Don't screw the tap down too tight when you turn it off

Clean the innards thouroughly so the washers are less likely to stick, new washers might help too.

Make sure you have assembled it right, some (most) taps do actually pull the washer away from the seat when you open them, it sounds like yours aren't doing this.

... of course I may be talking complete rubbish if your taps are ceramic disk ones, but then you wouldn't "turn a number of turns".

Reply to
cl

You can get replacement mechanisms for most taps.

I recently replaced for tap washers in two sets of taps. (12 years old) All are now unstaisfactory. The actual plunger no longer moves smoothly - as the grease that was in there seems to have gone, they either stick or hammer, and they are all leaking at the glands.

I have concluded that replacing washers alone in a softened water supply is simply not enough. By the time the washers have gone the whole mechanism will be in need of dismantling re greasing and perhaps new O rings. If that is how they seal the shafts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is very satisfying to do this. Wait till the family are out and do the taps before they 'need' doing. Better to identify the siezed threads before the problems start. Also lubricate the threads and don't overtighten them.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Most likely problem is that the head gear assembly has unscrewed its self.

Have a look at this;

First thing is to make sure the circlip is in place.

Next most likely is that the part holding the washer hasn't unscrewed from the main stem - it's a left hand thread.

Failing that, replace them. Easiest way is with a tap reviver kit

The Medway Handyman