Help please, problem installing bath

Having taken bathroom walls down to bare brick and had them re plastered I now have a bath fitting problem. The walls making the corner into which the bath will fit are not at right angles, nor is the long wall straight. If I butt the long bath edge to the wall there is a gap of about 7mm half way along that edge, and the end of the short edge is about 23mm from the wall. When the short side of the bath is butted to the wall the gap at the end of the long length is 42mm from the wall. The walls will be tiled after fitting the bath. Any suggestions to overcome this problem, with a good looking finish? I cannot dig the wall out much on the short end as pipes for a shower run up in the centre, and are only just buried in the wall. TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Get the plasterer back to do a *proper* job. There's no reason for a 7mm dip even if the underlying brickwork isn't quite uniform. If you make it clear that the corner has to be square, he can build up the plaster thickness at the corner end of the wall taking the short side of the bath. [It's this

23mm on the short side which is the biggest problem. Assuming that you're fitting the bath to the plaster and then tiling down to it, you can probably lose most of the 7mm dip behind a generous dose of tile adhesive. But it's better to get the plaster flat, if you can.]
Reply to
Set Square

They never are, modern houses seem just as bad, if not worse than, old houses. Our 1960s flat in London is *awful* whereas our 1920s house in rural suffolk is about the squarest I've ever worked in.

You need some sort of trim strip to take up the slack (says he stating the obvious!). I think I'd fit a piece of wood to the wall such that the rim of the bath rests on it (or is just clear). Then tile the walls and fit the bath. When everything is in place and settled put some sort of sealant on top of the wood to fill the gap between the bath and the tiles.

Reply to
usenet

I had this exact problem ...If the OP can't get the wall replastered properly then he can do what I did . In Homebase I found amongst the tile trims lengths of a Hard Plastic Trim which I think is probably for putting at the top of a row of tiles ..The profile is like the letter P but without the top straight part so it is more like a ? ..I fitted it with silicon to the tiles and bath ( after filling the bath) and then completed the join with more silicone to avoid water gathering along the top....The join at the corner was done using an electric compound mitre as the trim sits at an angle to the wall ..It worked very well. I got white trim but from memory there were other colours available..

I might have a spare bit available so if the Op wants me to send it I can do that if he e-mails me direct

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Or do what we did.

push the bath out from teh wall and use soime 2x2 to mount it to, and tile over it for a fancy ledge for coffee cups and shampoo..

If you are tiling, you can roughly level with plaster and a bit of wood as a scraper. Gettng plaster levels is easy, its getting a decent surface on it that takes the skill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok if I go this way in order to add plaster to the wall do I need to "scratch" it to make a key, or as it is "virgin" plaster can I just damp it and add the plaster. Also is finishing plaster ok or should I use undercoat plaster?

Reply to
Broadback