Basin waste lever problem

Hi Folks, Just on the final lap of fitting our new ensuite bathroom and I've hit a wee problem - hoping for any advice on the issue please.

The tap on the wash hand basin is one of those fancy monobloc (sp?) items - every damn thing comes up through a 40mm hole in the centre back of the basin. Fitting the hot and cold was fine since I had planned this out earlier and had arranged the plumbing accordingly. Ditto for the waste drainage.

All connections nice and tight, then I turn around and spot a taped poly bag on the floor with some lengths of chromed rod inside: damn, I've forgotten about the fancy lever thing that goes at the back of the tap and works the waste. On this basin the gap between the back of the tap and the wall tiles is about one inch: not a lot of room there. The end of the rod that the user works descends by about two inches then dog-legs by about thirty degrees. There's no way that this item will fit according to the instructions: the instructions show the bent rod rising at an angle out the slanted hole in the body of the tap (at the back) and then the plunger end drops down on the bend in the metal rod. Worse, the only way I perceive this to work is to have the rod emerge underneath the basin, then screw thread onto an extension piece and then this slides in between the two water tails of the tap. There is friction there that I don't like, and the end user needs two hands to work the lever as well!

So, anyone hit this problem before and what was your solution? Dispense with this fancy lever is my first thought and swap the drain fitting for one of those that takes a normal plug stopper or even one of those rotating stoppers?

Any suggestions welcome; thanks in advance

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning