Basic decorating Qs

Hi all

After 8 years the wife finally can't take any more of the custard yellow colour of our front room so I've been given my orders to do something about it. My plan of attack is to

Fill any cracks Sand down filler, woodwork etc Wash down all over Emulsion ceiling Emulsion walls Gloss woodwork

But before I start I do have a couple of questions

  1. Is the above the correct order to do things in
  2. Any recomendations on brand of paint to use. Thinking of the white for the ceiling here as the wall paint will be somewhat dependent on what SWMBO picks colourwise
  3. Does everyone still use rollers or are paint pads the way to do it nowdays

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
JimM

filler doesnt need sanding if you fill it smooth to begin with. Washing is optional.

Dulux, Leyland.

Rollers cover everything with paint mist. A 5" brush works well enough.

NT

Reply to
NT

Gloss before emulsion. You can wipe emulsion off gloss, but not gloss off emulsion.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Paint pads are used here.

Gloss before emulsion, as emulsion is easy to remove from gloss, not vice versa. (At least with real gloss, not that watered s**te)

Reply to
ericp

Use Matt Emulsion - never Silk

Reply to
John

Nope. Gloss woodwork before you emulsion.

Go for a 'one coat' or 'once' matt emulsion. Don't argue, just do it :-)

Rollers. Buy the el cheapo B&Q jobbies & bin them afterwards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But *not* with a brush: thick paint and brushmarks are a nightmare. (That goes for your gloss too. Go for proper 'runny' undercoats and topcoat, unless you like brushmarks. I hate them, and, once in, they are very difficult to get out, and get worse with every coat.)

Spamlet

That's an interesting comment. I am quite happy to see "grain" though others might not.

I do still flatten to remove before repainting.

Reply to
Clot

Are you the bloke who was posting every other message to that thread about a leaking roof recently?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:33:08 +0100, "John" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Why only Matt ? If you mark a matt finish, it is hard to wipe down without washing off the paint and leavong a mark. Where people have dogs/cats or "little people" with sticky hands, a silk, soft sheen or vinyl finish is preferable as they are considered wipeable.

I only gloss before, if I am wallpapering.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Silk seems to exaggerate all imperfections - matt hides them as it scatters the reflected light better. Modern matts seem to be quite tough when it comes to washing off marks - the key point is to use plenty of water / cleaning solution and don't rub too hard. Aim to 'float' the dirt off.

Reply to
John

On a ceiling, it just doesn't look right. Walls, you can get away with, but that is only my personal opinion.

Dave

Reply to
dave

May only need limited amounts of this for woodwork that is particularly greasy - i.e. gets handled frequently. Unless there are smokers about the walls and ceilings ought to be good to paint as it.

Seems ok to me.

Dulux make one of the best matt whites IME. Layland are pretty close as well. For colours, stick to a decent brand - a jonstones trade centre will be relatively cheap and decent quality.

Of the shed specials, the Wickes trade emulsions are actually quite good. I was putting matt magnolia over pink today - managed to do a credible job in one coat.

Personally I use a roller. I also quite like the small 4" rollers for some stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

It depends on the room IME... generally I like white matt ceilings, but there are some rooms where silk seems to work better. Probably ones with highly detailed sculpted ceiling papers - the silk makes the pattern more visible.

Reply to
John Rumm

I saw the result when a neighbour painted his kitchen ceiling with some homebase emulsion and a brush - it looked like he had stuck straw to it the marks were so deep! I tried a bit of the same paint with a roller however, and it gave a very good finish - the paint was totally unsuited to brushing (unless perhaps thinned quit a bit)

Reply to
John Rumm

Good point about Silk making the patterns more visible. So what people need to do is decide if they want to make it more visible - or mask it. If the ceiling has any defects or imperfections then masking it is usually best (IMHO)

Reply to
John

Yup agreed. If on the other hand you just forked out £70 a roll on a Lincrusta style paper, then you probably want to show it off!

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, I didn't consider that, only plain and artex ones. You are probably right there.

Dave

Reply to
dave