Barbed Wire and the law

Or even a double fence with cross firing machine guns and landmines in between.

Reply to
dennis

No. You might like to build a rockery somewhere, But I wouldn't dream of suggesting exactly where.

Reply to
thirty-six

Our local council alledgedy trim any undergrowth, brambles etc that overhang a pavement . I say alledgedly because I haven't seen any of this activity in any putlying districts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

I can vouch for the way beech hedging responds to brutal pruning. Our green-keeper had a double row of beech hedging round our bowling green. He wanted more air to get to the green so he removed one line of hedging and totally trimmed the remainder, removing virtually all of the branching material. The hedge looked a disaster!!. The following season it filled out into a beautiful hedge again. Job done!.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

Did you change the dog's name to Bobbitt?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No. I think his accident was before that story. For the rest of his life his penis was bent.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Don't think it's so much lack of fertility but more lack of light and (I think) toxins from the leaves. If you visit a beech wood there is nothing growing under it.

Why not? Blackberries yum yum, and no one is going to force their way through brambles unless they are *really* determined.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Bill Grey writes

My fathers beech hedge, about 50m of it is "trimmed" each year with a tractor and hedge cutting attachment, sometimes quite viciously, it never seems to suffer and always fills back out during the next year.

Reply to
Bill

In article , RJS writes

What about laying the hedge? I.e. Cutting half through some long bits and bending and weaving them into the existing structure?

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

It's 9/10 way through.

Not without sap you wont and a professional shouldn't touch it at this end of the year.

Reply to
thirty-six

Hello Janet. Thanks for that. Two questions: the fence will be on the due south side of the hedge. Would the hedge survive at a height of 1' when shaded by an adjacent fence of 5 or 6' such that the hedge (stumps?) receive no sun before midday? Also, in addition to the shading problem, would a beech hedge that currently has no side growth below about 2' recover from being cut down to below this height?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

Hi Janet

Yes, sorry. I was going to erect a mesh dog-barrier of, say, 4' in height and then increase the height by, originally, barbed-wire to make it person proof as well. The barbed-wire is now doubtful after all the legal mutterings. I suppose that I could, and I guess that this is what you may have imagined, cut the 'outside' of the hedge back to the trunks at whatever height is needed and install a chainlink fence close to the trunks. Is that what you imagined?

Whatever I erect must maintain security.

Having managed to scratch a cornea while preparing the ground along the outside of the hedge on Thursday - despite safety goggles - I've rather lost interest and have asked a fencing contractor to visit next week to see what they can suggest.

Richard

Reply to
RJS

Well, I'd be much more ruthless with the hedge and cut it to a foot=20 high. I've seen this done (farming neighbour) and it regrew very fast. The= =20 fence will be your security barrier.

ouch

Remember, Rylock stockfence is far cheaper and faster to erect than=20 chainlink. So he might not mention that unless you ask :-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet

If you cut the hedge back and hack into each base part way you can re weave it.

Look at a vide on pletching.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In article , RJS writes

If it's the dogs you worry about then stock fencing would be fine. Barbed wire won't keep much out in the way of humans as Janet said but Stock fencing along a hedge however gappy would stop dogs getting through and is considerably cheaper than chain link.

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Or deer fencing, given that there's an existing hedge - it works out to about 9p/foot here.

Reply to
Jules Richardson