B&Q Makita Drill Set

George

They sort of 'kick' round massively multiplying the actual torque of the motor. The principle has been around for ages with air tools.

Perhaps one of the best examples is the Makita TD020 which is the size of an ordinary small cordless screwdriver, but will happily cope with large screw sizes that before would have required a full sized drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fact that the guy split the timber he was screwing (unsurprisingly?): I think I'd be more inclined just to drill a pilot hole and use that lovely little Bosch non-impact job he was using as a comparison.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The other thing they're brilliant for is removing tight slot headed screws. They don't 'cam out' nearly so easily as doing it by hand. Or an ordinary cordless driver. They're really as great a step forward as SDS is from hammer. You can be quite happy with hammer until you've tried an SDS. Same difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mmm. Torque or vibration? I'd rather have to resist the torque of the driver than put up with vibration all day. Impact guns can be very useful with very difficult fixings - particularly undoing seized ones, but if possible I'd prefer to use a drill driver over an impact driver. Obviously in some situations an impact driver is the only way you're going to do the job, so in an ideal world you'd have both.

Reply to
Doki

Have you ever used an impact driver on a stubborn nut or screw on a car or some metal work? the type that you put over the nut and hit the impact driver with an hammer. Well its the same theory with an cordless impact driver ie more torque than a non impact driver. As for drilling a pilot hole and the use of a non impact driver it will not give you the firm tightning of the screw as opposed to using just the impact driver does.

I suppose the wood splitting was down to him using brute force behind the drill and not slowing down when the screw reached home?

Reply to
George

Yes I have an old manual impact driver myself (a steel cylinder which you whack on the end with a lump hammer to generate torque - so, same sort of thing, then) which I occasionally use for this task.

OK, having made that 'step' myself, I'll belive you then!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I can appreciate what you are saying, and agree to some extent. But, in my limited experience, the lack of torque is of particular value when the driver is being used in places where it is difficult to manage high torque, e.g. a tight corner.

Reply to
Rod

I have the Bosch non-impact job. It is very good and is the best cordless screwdriver I have ever owned (for what I need one to do).

However, I will buy an impact driver when I start some decking later on this year.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

The ryobi one doesn't vibrate much AFAICT (its the only one I have used). Its pretty solid and not exactly light. OTH its big enough for my rather large hands.

Reply to
dennis

Yes - I've got one too. There was a bit of a debate here when the drill makers nicked the name.

I think they work on the same principle - turning kinetic energy into torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a similar one (as others have said) on Screwfix, and the model is

8930DWPE-1. Screwfix were selling the same drill for £80 a few weeks, so I got one. So far a cracking drill. Seems to hold a charge well between uses too,
Reply to
Paul Matthews

Nicely put Mr P. Spot on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

John Rumm

I use 4 x 65 deck screws and 6 x 90 Turbogold coach screws no pilot in softwood - never had a split I can remember.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Maybe we should let women test these things for us:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth