Axminster tool show uk.d-i-y meet 2004

Ok, that's good.

Let's see where everyone else is staying, and if the answer is "in Exeter", then I suggest we find a pub + restaurant in Exeter. There are lots of them.

I think so far we have confirmed Andy, Al, Phil and me. Anyone else?

No, sure, they aren't at all expensive - I just think if everyone is actually staying /in/ Exeter, there's little point in trekking all the way out to that pub when there are plenty of others nearer.

The joys of having a SWMBO who is an IT pro...

Reply to
Grunff

I'm staying right in the centre at EX2 4HY, and I'm fine with a taxi too. OTOH, somewhere in walking distance would be even finer.

I'll go along with that, but leave it to the locals to see what you can find.

Anyone got ideas on what time to meet? Might be worth thinking of a times for both the pub and restaurant (unless it's one and the same) in case any additional folk decide to come at the last minute.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Hi again,

I like the White Hart Hotel on South Street. Their Tap Bar serves reasonable food and beer. You might even be able to stay there as well if you haven't confirmed accomodation yet. It has sawdust on the floor so we should feel at home! We probably wouldn't need to book a table but it might be an idea if there's more than six of us...

still need to check that my MIL doesn't mind babysitting on Thursday evening but I'm fairly sure that will be OK...

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Yes, I've been there, but not to eat - have you eaten there? What's the food like?

Reply to
Grunff

Food is generally good - the Tap Bar is more "proper meals" and the Hotel bar serves sandwiches. I had steak and ale pie last time and it was good. It's more expensive than a "Wetherspoon" but not as expensive as a "Vintage Inn" chain pub.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

My MIL has kindly offered to babysit, so I am definitely coming on Thursday.

Did we make a decision about where to eat? I'm happy to go wherever. I've just noticed that Mr. and Mrs. Grunff are veggie, and if I remember correctly the veggie options at the White Hart on South Street aren't brilliant, so that may not be be the best option.

What about the Great Western Hotel near the station? The beer is superb, and according to this review it has a good choice for the vegetarians:

has the advantage that The Imperial (which is a Wetherspoon) is about 400 yards away, which would do if all else fails - at least you know what you're getting. Too many students but it's a big place so you can avoid them.

If people would prefer to go to the White Horse Inn on the Sidmouth Road that's fine by me as well.

I think at the last count there were five or six of us, Andy, me (Al), Phil, Mrs. Phil, Grunff and possibly Mrs. Grunff. We shouldn't need to book with those sort of numbers, but if there's any others then it would probably be a good idea.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Excellent.

Not too concerned about that - we can usually find something nice wherever we eat.

find for everyone, and certainly a nice spot.

Ok, the Great Western gets my vote - nice and central, easy for everyone staying in Exeter, and good beer.

Reply to
Grunff

That's OK by us. What time to meet?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

7pm?

What about meeting up at the show? Might it be worth arranging a time for that?

Reply to
Grunff

Suits me.

I can't get to the show as I am at work :-( so I'll just see you at the Great Western Hotel at 7pm. I'll probably head down there after I finish work at 6pm.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Could do. Do you want to suggest a time and place?

I'm heading down in the morning so hope to be there by 1100. I'll email you my mobile number

Reply to
Andy Hall

7 then, at the Great Western. Does it have more than 1 bar? This
mentions their "Loco Bar".

Not sure what time I'll be there, so an exchange of numbers is a good plan - I'll email mine too.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I think the Loco Bar is the main bar. I'll try and pop in tomorrow and check if I get time. Let's assume that the Loco Bar is the place to meet anyway...

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I've emailed you my number and pic, maybe easiest to just call each other once we're there?

Reply to
Grunff

Al, tried to email you my phone number but it bounced. If you'd like it, could you email me a valid address?

Reply to
Grunff

Got it - thanks.

I think that it probably makes sense jus tto call as you say.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just to say it was great to meet up with everyone last night - hope you all have (had) safe journeys home.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

It was a most enjoyable evening. Must do again sometime soon.

Reply to
Grunff