Autofeed paint rollers - Opinions/recommendations

Seen a few models in the shops and have always thought - do they really work and are they really worth it?

Anyone got any experiences?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkland

Can take it from the silence that they must be cr*p!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkland

I've used two types - one with a 'syringe' handle and one with a large diameter roller that you filled with paint.

The first one worked brilliantly until it was time to clean it. Then it had to be completely dismantled and each of the 6 or 7 components cleaned separately. The roller ends only survived this process twice before they broke. The manufacturers offer a 'spares kit' at around half the price of the complete item, so it looks as though this is a common occurence. Also, despite claims that the special perforated rollers can be obtained everywhere, I could never find any in the sheds.

The second type is much simpler with only four separate parts to clean. They work reasonably well, but they are heavy when full of paint and doing a ceiling is very tiring. The only other drawback I have found is that the roller surface is effectively a piece of towelling held on by a couple of rubber bands. As they are easy to clean, I've done three or four rooms without the towelling needing to be replaced. However, I suspect that if it does go, it means a brand new roller.

For the last room I did, I used a Stanley paint pad. I gave up using paint pads twenty odd years ago when the became very flimsy and tended to slide off the handle in use. These Stanley ones are very well built with a positive quarter turn fastener to hold the pad on. The paint finish was perfect so I think I'll be using these in future.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

They fall into the category of useful gadgets that can take longer to clean up than the job itself takes. I bought one about 10 years ago - I think its branded as 'Wagner' from the USA. The unit is mains powered and has a peristaltic pump with a clear hose put into the pot of paint. On the business end there is a pneumatic switch which makes/breaks a switch back on the main unit to power up the pump

As you paint the wall you give the switch a blip to pump a bit more paint into the roller unit paint chamber. The roller head has a series of small holes which allow the paint through. There is a pad as an alternative to the roller but I never got on with those. Its very easy to overload the amount of paint on the pad itself. The roller has a spray/drip guard and the roller works well for applying an even amount of paint over an entire wall.

It works on water based paints only and for cleanup you have to pump through clean water until the hose is clear again. I found hot soapy water was good enough. The roller cleans up in the traditional way. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the time it takes to clean everything up as it should be all done in 5 mins once you get a system going. If you put a carrier bag over the roller you can leave the unit for a lunch break.

If you are painting a large room then I would say they are worth a try. They allow you to paint a large wall very quickly as you don't have to keep stooping down or reaching to reload the roller. The hose is around 3 metres in length so you can do an reasonable size room with the main unit in the middle. I looked at the cordless variety but decided the quality wasn't as good as the mains unit. If you buy one check you can still buy spares. I bought a few spare rollers around 4 years ago although I have yet to use them.

Having said all that my unit is boxed in the garage since it has just been quicker to use a standard roller for smaller rooms. Perhaps I'll now dig it out to do my stairs and landing...

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Tried one, and I'd rather use a (proper) paint sprayer for large areas. OTOH I've had a lot of experience painting cars so using a sprayer comes as second nature. Mrs F who actually does the house painting prefers paint pads.

We have a large house that is undergoing restoration at the moment and when it's finished (soon I hope) it will need every room painting. I intend to spray paint the place just to get it over with in a hurry.

Reply to
Steve Firth