Artex remover - does it work?

I'm just evaluating my options for dealing with an annoying Artex ceiling (mid 80's, so hopefully no asbestos). Has anyone tried the x-tex stuff? Does it actually work? It seems a bit expensive, but if it does the job, I'll be happy. Is there anything else to try? I don't fancy spending all day holding a steamer in the air. Would getting someone in to skim it (there's no way I could do it myself, and get it flat) be cheaper or more expensive for the same area?

Ta.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Re-skimming is the normal way.

Reply to
Fredxxx

We had a ceiling boarded and then skimmed. Best way IMO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Skimming it is actually not that difficult, especially if you use Artex powder instead of plaster. Gives you plenty of time to work it, and it sticks well, even in very thin layers

Reply to
stuart noble