Argos Challenge SDS Drill

Page 1 of 2
Before people start saying its a pile of pants (the Argos Challenge SDS drill for 30) - I got it because I was completely knackered after doing the best part of sinking a double socket box in a brick wall. Trying to drill with a basic hammer drill and chisel out the bits of brick was a right pain, taking ages and wearing my arm out! The hammer drill was pants and just wasn't up to the job. I decided that spending 30 on a cheapo SDS drill to get this job done was cost effective (especially as it included 2 basic chisels) seeing as I had a number of jobs to do (including replastering) and having a dead arm and wasted time would be more of a problem than 30 spent.
After using it I've noticed two features that it appears to lack. Firstly, you cannot lock it on. This means having to constantly pull the trigger whilst drilling/chiseling - a right pain. Secondly there doesn't appear to be a rotation lock mechanism. Whist I can stop it rotating under power, I can't seem to get it to stop rotating under vibration. Okay on a point chisel but on the flat chisel it can be a problem as you want to keep the flat piece in a certain place and angle..
All told though, I'm pleased with it - it made a good job of breaking up the bricks though it does weight a ton.
It looks like the 50 Performance Power one from B&Q though I noticed their one has a trigger lock - no idea about rotation lock.
Does anyone else have experience of the Challenge SDS Drill and whether there's any way of stopping the bit rotating under vibration when its in hammer only mode?
Thanks
David
David Hearn wrote:

Your reason for getting it doesn't make it less of a pile of pants :-)

This is one of the biggest failings of the 25-50 SDS machines - they weigh far too much. I know - I had two before buying my DeWalt.
--
Grunff

the
He bought it to do one job. It did it, was worth it, and anything also above that is a bonus. Sound logic.

the
DeWalt? Please, now that is pants. You can get a superior Makita for less.
IMM wrote:

I forgot to say that I was struggling on finishing the first double box and that I had a second one to do, and another room which would need more sockets! So, its still got some extra uses to go. Must admit though - the box I did by hand (or mostly by hand) is much neater than the one I did from scratch using the SDS Chisel... but then again, it took about 1/5 of the time!
David
IMM wrote:

Sound logic if:
[a] It's the only job he's ever intending to do with an SDS or [b] You're a complete moron
--
Grunff

above
That's what he said he got it for. One job. So anything else is a bonus

I assume the collective You're. Why would anyone be a moron by a cheap for one job? Duh!

30 for one job seems poor value to me.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

:-)
also
He didn't think so.

At the time. Now he has to get a better one and overall will have spent more...
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

bonus
He said it still works.
IMM wrote in message ...

less.
The Makita is not superior. The chuck does not lock in the chiselling position.
Regards Capitol
Capitol wrote:

depends on your Makita - it does on my one (Makita 2450)
--
Cheers,

John.

Interesting, it's been improved. 2400 doesn't. Regards Capitol

less.
Tried both. Makita wins hands down, but not for less.
-- Adam
adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

I've had a DeWalt for ages, and it's been great - can't fault it. Have you experience of both, or is this just another example of your website comparisons?
--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

David Hearn wrote:

That also seems to be a common feature of many drills in this class. You normally need to go to Bosch or Makita money (i.e. 100 - 120) for a decent multi position rotation lock.
--
Cheers,

John.

My 90 (a while ago) Stayer has all lock types:- No rotation, fixed No rotation, free Rotating and hammering Just rotating
At the time it was one of the cheapest SDS drills available, it's done lots of hard work for me over the past year or two and shows no signs of falling apart yet.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Yeah, I bought one of those about 2 years ago and have been equally pleased with it.
With regard to the OP, ISTR complaints of bit rotating under hammer only mode in previous posts regarding this (or similar SDS drills)
I am the only one who thinks these el cheapo SDS drills are deliberately made much heavier than they need to be so as to feel more 'meaty' ?
--
Chris French, Leeds

whether
in
You
Nah, to put professionals off.

A heavy drill might well be an advantage if chasing into floors etc. But not for walls. ;-)
--
*What boots up must come down *