Argos challenge sds ?

very similar sds drills. I need one fairly soon and thought this looks amazing for the price ?

I tried getting one of those lidle ones but had not suceed, sadly.

So next port of call was the argos and saw this for £40/£50 and thought it looks well speced albeit heavy. What do you talented :) doy bods reckon ?

To add, will be used for basic home diy, and perhaps putting a sky dish up later in the year. Most of its life will be spent in a cupboard so not hard used.

I would love t makita, dewalt jobbie, but finance doesn't stretch that far. Unless anyone has spotted on for £50 ish.

Thanks kindly. Now onto thinking about some tiling to do this week, absolutely hate grouting :)

Reply to
Dubber

If you check your local B&Q, you may find something similar on clearance. Some were marked at =A321.95 =A324.95 =A331.95 - all identical, perhaps something missing like destructions or a free chisel (no idea).

If you need a cordless drill AND sds you could consider =A350 on each - Makita 14.4V & 230V SDS in the form of "Site" brand made by Makita are available at Screwfix for =A3115 (or so). Not as cheap as the Bosch 12V & SDS a few weeks back, but the Bosch 12V cordless felt a bit "green- version" despite being "Bosch-blue".

Failing that, check Ebay for Bosch GBH-2400 (Screwfix offer) or similar - you can get an SDS for =A375 on Ebay. Used is risky, although I sold a Makita after very light use (converting 4 surface to sunk backboxes in near engineering brick) for =A365 so sometimes you get lucky.

A proper SDS is 3-function and the safety clutch means you can use it with larger diamond core drills (100-127mm), by 150mm you really need a proper core drill which has a very soft clutch and a huge amount of torque via gearbox.

Reply to
js.b1

My first SDS was very similar to those. Far too heavy for comfortable use - other than breaking concrete.

The Lidl one is a dream in comparison. Far easier to use. In fact I used mine today to dig out a fence post hole and it made the job easy. Doing exactly the same job with the heavy one was much slower and harder work. Also used to drive big, heavy screws - which it did effortlessly.

Reply to
Rod

"Dubber" wrote in news:h8jfj8$ldb$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I have the 2nd of these - the 1200W jobby. I bought it a couple of years ago when it was on offer at (I think) GBP 35. At that price, I thought it was a bargain. But...

My experience is that it's way too heavy. It may be cheap, and I'm pretty sure that it will cope with most things you have in mind, but I wouldn't buy another. I'm not really sure that you need all the claimed power either.

The Jacobs chuck which is included may seem nice to have, but the sheer weight of the beast makes using it + a normal drill bit impractical.

I do drag it out when there's a heavy job to do, but with hindsight I should have paid more and gone for a 'name' brand with a lower weight.

Yes, I have read the reviews at the link you gave. Although many say the weight is manageable, it really is a beast to handle for anything at (say) shoulder height. But it's certainly OK for using as a breaker at ground level :)

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

It looks rather underwhelming for the price to be honest...

Too big and heavy, and lacks a variable speed trigger which makes the chisel mode so much more useful.

(variable speed means also variable hammer force - the difference between being able to demolish something and being able to cut out or chase something!)

It does not say if it has a clutch either.

Try this:

a top brand by any stretch - but probably functional. The balance and size look very much more manageable, and its variable speed.

Dry powder mix it yourself grout and a rubber faced grout float.... doddle ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

CPC were selling similar to the Lidl one size wise recently - but at about

40 quid. Thought it a bargain.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dubber wrote:

> Two very similar sds drills. I need one fairly soon and thought this

These drills are extreemly heavy in use and probably limited in reliability & parts availability. The are however 3 function machines e.g. drill/drill & hammer/hammer only. The latter is handy if you want to use it as a mini breaker.

I have a Titan which is only ever used as a mini breaker, I would never use it for drilling.

If your main requirement is for drilling, spend an extra £30 and go for something like

two function, but much lighter & a good quality DIY machine.

Dave - The Medway Handyman

begin 666 smile.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y# #`0`[ ` end

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Actually if the OP is near Kent I have a Blue Bosch 2 function SDS, oldie but goodie, he could have for the price of a few beers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman