Anyone got any ideas for a blanket or duvet support?

I've had the big toenails removed and the pressure of the duvet at night causes discomfort. I could buy a blanket support cradle on Amazon for a tenner, but I'll only need one for a week, so what else could I cobble together (wood, tubing, etc)?

MM

Reply to
MM

Lie on your back and think of an attractive young lady? :-)

Blocks and planks is an obvious answer. Trouble is unless you're a shortarse lifting up the end of the duvet over the toes will leave a gap.

Reply to
Clive George

Put two pairs of socks on and sleep with your feet below the lower edge of the duvet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , MM writes

First, I'll agree with Clive that you'll probably get cold toes! Having said that, my first thought was a frame built using bent wire coat hangers, but that may not be strong enough. Do you have any form of wire clothes airer (clothes horse) that could be adapted? Anything that starts outside the bed is going to let cold air in - it really needs a frame that is going to fit within the bed. Three fridge shelves somehow cobbled together with cable ties?

Reply to
News

I stuck a soft plastic kids ball about 10" dia in the bed but it is not entirely successful.

Reply to
F Murtz

Cardboard box one side removed and with the pillow end reinforced before cutting to form an arch?

I have made garden netting supports from hoops of 20mm plastic water pipe. Either plugged in to short lengths of bamboo or in holes drilled in lengths of wood. Something similar might work using 10mm PEX tubing...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I AM a shortarse!

MM

Reply to
MM

No, I hate wearing socks in bed.

MM

Reply to
MM

Best idea so far!

MM

Reply to
MM

A large strong cardboard box* - an apple box rather than the trays which are now more common, from a supermarket etc with a large arch cut out of it on one side to accommodate your ankles. Just the box or the lid on their own should support the weight of a duvet but for extra strength you could always double up by placing one inside the other. They're all different sizes depending on origin so depending on your shoe size some might accommodate your feet in a horizontal position. Smaller boxes, Cape for instance could maybe be stood on end.

  • Or if you buy one from Amazon you could always use the box it comes in, instead, I suppose

michael adams

michael adams

Yours is the second suggestion that I saw mentioned elsewhere on the internet (plastic tubing), so I could give it a go. However, the cardboard box route could also be a goer.

What I did during the latter night was stick two pillows on top of each other at the foot of the bed. It certainly helped somewhat, but the pillows tend to squash down after a while.

Research continues!

This is more challenging than the Large Hadron Collider.

MM

Reply to
MM

Oops!

Having just had another look, obviously you don't need to cut out any holes at all. If you stick the box inside the lid, as they do when displaying fruit and stand the box on its side that makes a void into which you can put your feet. Providing of course that the box is placed the correct way around

michael adams

michael adams

The solution: I've placed a medium-sized oblong plastic storage box, upside down, at the foot of the bed. This raises the duvet by about a foot. The feet are completely free.

It works! But only because I'm short. It wouldn't work for tall people and standard bed lengths.

MM

Reply to
MM

The solution: I've placed a medium-sized oblong plastic storage box, upside down, at the foot of the bed. This raises the duvet by about a foot. The feet are completely free.

It works! But only because I'm short. It wouldn't work for tall people and standard bed lengths.

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , Chris French writes

I realise OP has now found a solution, but for those less, um, vertically challenged , I like Chris's bamboo canes. I'm a shade over six feet, so not especially tall, yet my toes always seem to hang over the end of the mattress. During cold nights, like last night, I tend to sleep almost diagonally which works because Wifey tends to sleep in the foetal position.

Reply to
News

Two waste paper baskets on their sides?

Reply to
alan_m

Insert big toes in cardboard (or other) tubes, held in place with sticking plaster or sellotape. A suitable size tube can be made by slitting a toilet-roll core lengthwise, swiss-rolling it, and taping it up.

Alternatively, decapitate a pair of milk bottles of suitable size, cut lengthwise from the new top in several places for comfort, insert feet and tape in place.

Or move a mattress, camp bed, row of cushions, etc. so that the toe end is at the outside of an internal door, and use string or thread from the top of the closed door, or from the top of the door frame, to hold up the required parts of the bedding.

Or move a mattress etc. to a small room which you can keep at summer heat, and sleep under a single sheet or none.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Not particularly DIY - Red Cross Loans. You may need a Doctors note to show need.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Oh? That's a new one! They loan these things out, do they?

I'm astonished.

MM

Reply to
MM

20+ tears ago I was living in Fareham (Portsmouth) and needed to transport my 90yo mother from Durham to Fareham. I needed a wheelchair to take my mother to the toilets when I stopped on the way down. RedX would loan me the chair but needed a letter from my mothers doctor to do it. As I was working at 300+ miles away an time was limited I could not manage this (I borrowed a chair from an aquaintance)

Red X medical loans would have helped if I had had the time

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race