Anyone got a spare 330 megawatts of power this winter?

Because of the environmentalists.

Yes I know. But if it hadn't been for the greenies there would have been no prevarication. That report was an attempt to shake people out of the greeny bollocks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Form filling, yes, but have they any incentive to build? Has anyone, apart from EDF, even tried to build a nuke?

Reply to
charles

most of the rest took one look at Miliband and got their coats and left.

Then Huhne came along..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

we had load shedding in the steel industry every winter because it was an agreement between the user and the producer, or so we were told as we switched everything (almost) off.

Reply to
critcher

Large consumers have always had access to a cheaper tarif where the supplier can load shed them when necessary. You have to be large enough that shedding your load makes a difference though.

I suspect there is less of the type of large industry in the UK which can handle that nowadays.

Same with gas. It was heavily used by the dash-for-gas generators at one point, which caused terrible supply prediction instability. Don't know if they're still allowed to for electricity generation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well would you spend billions on something with a 40 to 50 year life when the powers that be could turn round on a whim at any time and tell you to close it down?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Enron going bust screwed the one they were going to put on Teesside but not before National Grid had installed the additional infrastructure to move the electricity it never generated down south where it is needed.

To cap it all they (GDF SUEZ) have now closed the other plant there.

Mostly bloody southern NIMBYs who don't want nasty dirty power stations or fracking their back yard. As Lord Howell so succinctly put it we should frack over the 'desolate' North (he mis-spelled it s/ra/u/).

Reply to
Martin Brown

nuclear

Fixed that for you.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I don't think the graphite weight loss rate has increased. Dungeness B is getting a life extension because the regulator has accepted that the "strength" model was conservative. And it's EDF not EON.

newshound