anybody in london familiar/able with these instructions on silencing a humming/buzzing/whining transformer?

I once had a bit of electronics, (happened to be a power supply board, AC to DC), that looked like this

But it made a noise. I guess it was the component with the wire coil around the metal? The transformers?

(part of morex power supply card)
(whole of morex power supply card) (looks toroidal I suppose? though I read somewhere toroidal are meant to be quieter)

Now I have a power supply board without them,

(picoPSU)

But I might be getting another piece of kit to connect my dell laptop screen to the VGA port on my computer. Notice the circled part. I spot what may be a transformer and it may hum. I curc

Is there anybody here familiar with what people here are talking about, and able to do it? And in London?

I'm willing to risk breaking it, trying to do it myself.. but I just want to get it done. If they can show me in front of my eyes then that's ideal. If all that is involved is pouring glue in the right place i'd pay £25. I just think there's more chance of it working if somebody that knows what they're doing does it.

If they have to remove the component from the board and treat it in some way, i'd be interested in seeing it, and would pay £35.

Is there anybody in here in london that understands what i'm talking about and are on the same kind of wavelength as the sci.electronics.repair people that replied to that post (see the allaboutcircuits.com link), that could do it?

Reply to
Tod Jones

I'd wait until you know whether it hums (I doubt it will) before doing anything.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would be unusual for a ferrite core like that to hum audibly. Indeed at that small size it may well be running at a frequency you can't hear.

It is the bad old days of mild steel laminated cores and thick copper wires handling big currents that produces humming transformers. A combination of magnetostriction and the relatively loose steel leaves flexing with the variation of current. They were initially lacquered after manufacture to but it inevitably degraded with heat and time.

Opening the case with a hammer is not terribly bright. You should always use an angle grinder in the true spirit of uk.d-i-y. Treat the rest of their advice with similar contempt.

That said a spot or two of slow setting epoxy on the edges of loose transformer laminations will probably stop them from rattling about.

Reply to
Martin Brown

ng (picoPSU)

Ignore it and get on with life.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No competent repair person would enter into the arrangement youre suggestin g

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The appropriate wavelength here would be two short planks.

Reply to
Martin Brown