Another cooling tower down at Thorpe Marsh power station

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I do have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

ARWadsworth

it the one at the end of the row of four, furthest north west?)

Confusing pics though. That building just this side of the felled tower looks a lot like the ash bunkers but if it is then its in the wrong place! I had heard they had demolished that structure some time ago.

I passed by on the A1 a few weeks back and despite one tower being gone it still looked like it used to a couple of years ago, a virtue of the compact layout in a letter C wrapped round the main buildings so the coal pillar left under the site was as small as possible. I even pulled over to make sure one had really gone. Guess with twp now gone it will be much more obvious now.

Is the timescale for the remaining towers a bit more hurried than the first two?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I will be out that way in the morning. I'll take some photos.

No idea ATM.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pretty spectacular considering the method used. Wire rope. Perhaps an angle grinder was used as well but was unreported.

Reply to
Graham.

Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Perhaps he CBA to edit it Try this link instead

Graham.

A nice piece of urban exploration here:

Graham.

I posted the first two minutes so you had enough time for sexual intercourse before watching the tower fall.

Would 1 minute be OK?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, quite probably. Look at the video of the first tower coming down, the demolition vehicle pulling the wire looks a lot closer than the second one.

drops at 1:18

Reply to
The Other Mike

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly, but there are surely far more rapid techniques and although I would expect a discussion on the various methods of bringing them down might attract lots of support...it would eventually lead to a long spell inside for those contributing, reading or distributing such information.

Reply to
The Other Mike

don't be silly.

Thought crime is not on the statute books yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We would just say we were being ironic. That didn't work for one guy on Twitter recently, but perhaps that was just because irony wasn't in his vocabulary.

Reply to
Graham.

Leave them out in the wind... seems to do for a few of them!

Reply to
John Rumm

Why would they wan it to be secret? are they expecting a riot? I'd suggest though that the dust generated by these to be quite a hazard if people breathed it in for too long and you cannot give everyone a mask.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Be too short, those that got bored in the two minute lead up weren't paying attention. In fact there maybe a few seconds missing from the begining as the fresh concrete dust stain from where the rope is being pulled through the side of the tower is already a few feet wide when the vid starts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well the area is served by small country roads. Watching the towers coming down would be a popular event. They do not want crowds.

When the cooling towers at Tinsley were blown up the M1 needed to be shut and Meadowhall shopping centre at the other siide of the M1 was opened up as a viewing area for at least 6000 people to watch.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I did not go to work there this morning.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

all I can find ATM.

The odd thing is I can see the towers 16 miles away on my way to work but not when I am at work 3 miles away from them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have a nasty feeling that if someone _did_ act, all of us would be hauled up for conspiracy.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ