alternative to lead flashing

Anyone used this :-

'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband, e.g. tougher, better adhesion etc, and the diagrams do show it cut into the brickwork. As long as it has some give to dress it into profiled tiles. I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to lead when I do my extension roof, since lead is so expensive now.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

> I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,

PDF for installation here:

sm_jamieson

> I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,

It is becoming popular throughout the trade, so I take it that it does the job as it should. I haven't seen it used on big jobs, but have seen it used on repair work and small domestic jobs. But it's like everything. Once you use it for yourself and get the feel for it, that's when you find out if it's any good or not. However, having seen the professionals use it, I would give it a try.

Reply to
BigWallop

I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* - oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great, but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning happening.

A major factor might be "how inaccessible will the flashing be after installation" - as low positioned lead is prone to theft - but high positioned you want the most durable product possible.

Reply to
dom

There is another brand can't remember name, which is like a crepe'd aluminium on the surface that can be dressed into curves etc, that may be more durable. If they are more thermally stable then lead then that might compensate as far as durability is concerned.

I haven't checked the price of these lead replacements, but what annoys me often (although good business sense) is when things that are a lot cheaper to make are priced to be "just" cheaper than the alternative. Or priced based on time saving - fine for pro's but a right pain for DIY !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,

The price of scrap lead has collapsed, so I'd expect that to filter through to new in time.

I love working with lead but haven't tried 'your' stuff. The page you give puts me off - looks like it was written by dribble. Lead isn't dangerous to work with or toxic in sheet form - assuming you follow the most basic of rules. Nor can I imagine any adhesive lasting for the sort of times that lead does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's worth pointing out that theft of lead from building roofs is often not covered by insurance, as the 'buildings' cover generally doesn't include damage by theft, and the 'contents' cover doesn't apply as the theft is from the outside of the building so there is no forcible entry.

Reply to
OG

Lead does leach into water, it happens most in soft water like rainwater.

And it is probably true that people who work with lead have more lead in their systems.

Reply to
dennis

Didn't impress me either. Though I think it trying to sell the scare story to employers and workers rather than the people in the building.

You store and drink rain water? Lead on the roof is not a toxic hazard to the occupants.

Quite possibly but significantly different? We've all got far more lead in our systems these days than the population had 100 years ago. Leaded petrol has seen to that. Of course I wonder what the effects of working with a butyl substance and aluminium is? Aluminium has links with dementia...

Personally I want something that will last as long as the rest of the roofing material and as that is slate here we are looking for at least 50 years and possibly over 100. I have my doubts that a butly thing will last that long on the sunny side of the house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that's been disproved, or never been proven in the first place. It was apparently just an hypothesis many years ago.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I ripped out some lead water pipe from my parents house in the NE of Scotland which as very soft water and there was no evidence of the inside being eroded in any way. And it was some 40 years old at the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah, ITYF people who do electronic soldering have more lead in their pencils.

Just call me "Multicore" ;-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard