AEG Lavamat 6200 not motoring

I know some folks in this group have had these fine machines - maybe still have.

Ours has stopped rotating the drum, either on wash or spin. The inlet solenoids work and the pump runs. I've checked the main motor windings (one set is about 200 Ohm, middle pair lower, 3rd set lower still - can't remember exact values) and delved into the motor control sub-PCB: there's nothing obviously amiss on it (cracked tracks, burned out components). I think the machine has been working intermittently so I don't think it's a burned out component though I suppose it could be a connect coming loose inside a plastic encapsulation. There's a Philips 18 or 20 pin DIL chip on the PCB which I guess is a little microcontroller, and I did wonder whether it's not getting some sensor signal but the fact that the motor doesn't go on any part of the cycle leads me to suspect the motor control end. There is a plastic packaged 3-legged component - possibly a thyristor or triac - clipped to some metal for a heat sink so I guess that could be iffy.

Anybody got any suggestions - or better still cct diagrams or service manuals? Is there a Geoff/CET-type who does recons of these things?

Reply to
John Stumbles

In message , John Stumbles writes

geoff

Pre-empting the worst ... and assuming it's not the motor at fault .. and assuming it's compatible .. and as a way of off-setting the cost of your new one .. I might be interested in the motor John? (talk about circling vultures eh)!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sadly they only do toy stuff though: Servis, Hotpoint, Zanussi, Hoover / Candy and Indeshit

Reply to
John Stumbles

Get yer grubby hands orf!

I'd be loath to scrap it but if it comes to that I'll get back to you. (What do you want the motor for? Have you got a dead machine then?)

Reply to
John Stumbles

lol

Yup, the one in our 6100 Digitronic has gone 18K to earth (via the stator) and tripping the RCD. Isolate the motor from earth and it all runs fine. ;-)

I'm about to wash it in RO water as a last resort to clear the resistance.

Good luck though ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is it not poss to mount it insulated form earth, using plastic washers, pvc sleeve etc in the mountings? Would be a simple but effective option, and quicker than a rewind.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It just comes down to divide and conquer. More or less all WMs have their motors powered the same way as this one. Triacs are maybe the most vulnerable part, and in the middle of the chain, so I'd start by looking each side of that. Just gotta hook up some clip leads in there and measure everything while its supposed to be running.

There arent really any short cuts. Some simple stuff has a weakest part you can replace blind, but when theres nothing obvious you have to do it properly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I that actually considered that.

The thing is it's mounted on one big bolt that allows you to swivel the motor to tension the belt then lock the bolt therefore it is quite a substantial and rigid mounting. That's not to say I couldn't fabricate an isolated mount as you suggest of course but even I have limits as to how far I will go! (and John might have a working motor for me soon anyway eh ).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

AEG are part of Electrolux, so Zanussi... Badge snobbery, eh? TBH when I needed drum bearings and the seal to replace ours last year when they had had it, the guys in the shop I dealt with rated AEG highly and said definitely worth DIY repair. (I already had it in pieces when I took the parts in). The manufacturer's replacement seal was bagged and branded Electrolux. They do share parts, and your parts are never happen to be the cheapest in the range of things!

Reply to
Part timer

When BMW bought the scraps of British Leyland my dad, who had an MG Metro, annnounced that he was now a BMW owner.

The Lavamat 6200 is a Real AEG, not an Electrosux badge job. I don't know how old it is - I got it off a woman who was replacing it with a new machine even though there was nothing wrong with it - but probably late

20th Century.

For the benefit of the gentleman who was after the motor (sodding NTL/Virgin seem to have lost a load of recent posts from their news servers) and everyone else waiting with eager anticipation for the continuation/culmination of the saga, it was only the brushes. Replaced them and it's fine.

Mind you the bloody brushes were £20.75 (and the bloke in Apple Electrics said think yourself lucky it's not a Miele, they're £90ish. Mate.)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Same as ours. I believe when we bought it we could have gone down a bit and it would have been a Zanussi, up a bit and we get a 'real' AEG. Not that I have any issue with Zanussi in any case.

"Cool!" ;-)

I think I bought a pair without holders off the local market for £6 .. but 90!

All the best and I'll carry on with attempting to remove the 18K > Gnd with this 5 gals of RO water I've been given (once I've made a suitable tool to undo the 'special' screws holding the motor together and worked out how the drive pulley is attached that is ... ).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

S'pose you've tried compressed air through it from someone with an air line and a blower tool? In case it's just accumulation of brush debris.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yup, the same as I did last time but then there was a L > E fault John, tripping the RCD even when it wasn't turned on.

This time it's different. :-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to