Advice on which Dremel to buy and why, please

My =A316 multitool from Maplin died recently and my eye was caught by a Dremel display of, ISTR, 300 and 4000 models in B+Q for about =A350 and =A3100 respectively

Are they worth the money and which would you buy?

The Maplin-thing didn't have a hard life and nor will a Dremel. The, contemplated, greater investment in a Dremel over another =A316 Maplin purchase is pure indulgence with a hope of more fittings or features (will I ever use them?) and a longer life.

I noticed that the 4000 seemed to have a much wider speed range than the 300.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

Since posting this question, I've done a bit of Googling. An American 'hobby' site has a thread recommending a Proxxon Dremel-equivalent over the Dremel for many reasons including quietness, very low vibration, wide speed range and robust construction. One contributor uses his in a CNC milling machine to make PCBs!

Axminster has the Proxxon IB/E Professional Drill/Grinder for only =A3100.

Any further thoughts?

Please!

Richard

Reply to
RJS

If you can live with mains power and a flexi-drive, then a Foredom- style machine (a ceiling or stand-hung motor) is much more power and reliable with it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks Andy

I should have said that portability is a 'must have'.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
RJS

FWIW, I have three such things. A mains powered B&Q one which is rarely used. Being corded isn't nice for delicate stuff. A similar small cordless one by Ryobi, which gets a lot of use for PCB type stuff. Although I do have a decent PCB mains pillar drill if I have lots of holes to drill. And finally a much larger - about twice the size - cordless which came from Lidl. It's excellent for fine grinding and cutting.rotozip I've also got a large Rotizip type device with a flexible drive which seemed like a good idea at the time - but rarely gets used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'die grinder.' Stay away from low end ones, they have way less power than a proper die grinder.

NT

Reply to
NT

Bigger scale though, and faster. There are lots of things I'll spin in my overhead Foredom-type (which is usually the bigger Axminster White one) that I can't spin in my die grinder. These are mostly the grinding and polishing heads for jewellery, but also for plastics, where the die grinder is too fast and hot.

Reply to
Andy Dingley