"Ads not by this site" - harry

Why are your posts placing the text "Ads not by this site" at the end of the previous post on your responses?

Looks daft and breaks the convention that you don't change the post you are replying to (except by dint of snipping).

I have not (so far) seen it on anyone else's responses.

Reply to
polygonum

Who are you talking to, and what are you talking about?

Reply to
Huge

He's talking to "Harry" who has recently been posting "Ads not by this site" immediately after the quoted text without even a single space separation.

Harry posts via Google Groups (why?) Perhaps it's GG way of telling us that we are missing all their sponsored crap when we read Usenet posts via er,Usenet.

Reply to
Graham.

I see the "ads not by this site" on harry's recent posts. If I use google groups (old or new version) I don't see the text added in any replies I compose, even with AB+ turned off, I didn't go so far as actually posting them.

Looks like GG postings now go through a couple of SMTP hops, which they didn't some time ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, harry's been killfiled here for a ling time.

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have no idea. I am suddenly having floating adverts appearing.

Reply to
harry

You are correct. The Google is much easier to follow threads and you can find old threads much easier.I use the "Old" Goggle. They are really annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Reply to
harry

I don't think they're coming from Google, more likely you've picked up some malware that's injecting adverts into web pages as you view them, do they appear if you use a different browser?

Reply to
Andy Burns

One thing I've noticed is that Outlook Express occasionally removes things like OT: from the subject lines, but not all the time. Weird.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its from a bunch of related browser hijack programs...

SaveAs, SearchNew tab, Search assistant, web search, coupon companion etc.

Generally they can be uninstalled fairly easily, although you will need to manually drop them as add ons from the browser.

Malwarebytes anti-malware will have most of them away.

Reply to
John Rumm

You've probably picked up a potentially unwanted or even malicious web browser extension. The problem is that "ads not by this site" might be displayed by more than 40 different extension, complete list is available here

'Remove the \"Ads not by this site\" Browser Hijacker'

you find it then simply scan your computer with AdwCleaner

'AdwCleaner Download'

's a great tool designed to remove adware, toolbars, etc. Works even better than Malwarebytes.

Cheers!

Reply to
Adam Woody

There are no ads on the current GG interface

NT

Reply to
meow2222