Adjusting domestic door closers

I would like to slacken off the door closers in a 2 year old house because they slam like the gates of hell at the moment.

These are hollow internal doors and the visible parts of the closer consist of 2 small oblong brass plates, one on the back edge of the door about half way down, the other on the adjacent part of the door frame. They are joined by a short length of something very similar to bicycle chain, which disappears in to the body of the door when it is closed.

Obviously, when the door is open, this chain is under tension and I am very wary of removing the brass plate on the back of the door when it is like this. Is this kind of closer adjustable and does anybody have any tips about doing it succesfully, while also keeping all of my fingers?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

They probably can't be adjusted so most people simply remove them, balance of risk seems to be that you are more likely to lose your fingers than burn!

Without admitting any liability remove as follows: With the door open as far as possible clamp a mole wrench or similar onto the chain close to the door, close door slightly. Chain should be slacker(?) remove the four screws from door frame, then carefully remove clamp. Closer will now snap shut into door edge - leave in place so that it can be refixed if necessary.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Open the door fully, push a suitably sized nail or other metal rod through a link of the chain adjacent to the portion of the closer which is in the door. Remove the screws and withdraw the unit from the door. The door part is threaded together and can be unscrewed to remove some of the tension from the spring. Refit the unit, push the door open to tension the spring, and remove the nail. Please note that, all the time this type of unit is fitted to a door, the door will slam to a greater or lesser degree depending on the tension of the spring.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Perko door closers Yes. Open door wide clamp chain with Mole wrench at door end undo plate on frame turn mole to slacken off tension or remove the dammed thing altogether.

Reply to
DJC

You might wish to buy, or at least inspect one before doing the job. They usually come with a little pin to slip in the chain for adjustment.

Once you have seen how they look in the nude, you will have the confidence to deal with them.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I did that in B&Q and got some strange looks :-)

Reply to
Matt