Adjusting Storm Door Closures

I just installed a storm door this weekend. The door came from the manufacturer (ProVia) with dual closures, one for the top and one for the bottom.

Here's the issue:

I can adjust the closures to smoothly close and latch the door with the entry door open, but it "just misses" latching when the entry door is closed.

It doesn't matter if I use the winter or summer hole in the door-end of the closure or if the window is lowered exposing the retractable screen. It just misses latching by about 1/8" if the entry door is closed.

If I want it to latch (by itself) with the entry door closed, I have to set the closures so that it slams when the entry door is open.

If I adjust the strike plate outward, then the door doesn't seal as tightly against the weather stripping.

How do I find the happy medium between all of these variables?

BTW...since this storm door has retractable screens, there is really no correct "seasonal" setting for the closure pin. The screens might be used one day but not the next and could be exposed from 1/2" to 1/2 the door. I'm using the "storm in" hole since odds are there will always be more window than screen.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sounds like air is being trapped between the entry door and storm door when trying to close, thus slowing down the storm door. Try pulling down the screen a bit to have air escape when closing the door, or perhaps adjust the weatherstripping at the bottom to have some air escape.

Reply to
Mikepier

Had friend with same problem and trapped air was the answer.

Reply to
LouB

Thanks for the response.

I know what the "cause" is - obviously it's air pressure.

re: "Try pulling down the screen a bit to have air escape when closing the door"

As I mentioned in my OP, it doesn't help if I lower the window and expose the screen. The storm still doesn't latch. Even the exposed screen creates enough "back-pressure" to prevent the door from latching.

Besides, what would be the point of "letting the air escape" either through the screen or through the bottom weather stripping?

I want the door to latch so that it seals against the weather stripping. If I create an opening, don't I just defeat the purpose of the weather stripping? That's just as inefficient as the door not latching.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If this is for your personal home the just misses" latching when the entry door is closed is the proper setting and about the best you will achieve.

You just need to remember to pull it fully closed each time. For rental property adjust it to a light slam because they will never take the time to pull it closed.

I can not even guess how many of these things I have installed over the years and that is always the choice you have to make.

One thing to keep in mind is to test it from the same open position each time. The amount of the open affects the closer operation.

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks C.

re: "You just need to remember to pull it fully closed each time."

Or push it. ;-)

That sucks. I want to walk out of the house, pull the entry door closed, push the electronic lock button and walk away. I don't want to have to force the storm door closed against the closures or wait until they do their thing and then give the door a tiny push to latch it.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

...thereby negating the insulating value of the storm door ;-)

Reply to
Joseph Capgras

re: "You just need to remember to pull it fully closed each time."

Or push it. ;-)

That sucks. I want to walk out of the house, pull the entry door closed, push the electronic lock button and walk away. I don't want to have to force the storm door closed against the closures or wait until they do their thing and then give the door a tiny push to latch it.

You'll never achieve closure with this closer issue. It's just the way they work. Mebbe a rubber flap over the outside of a suitably sized hole it the door to relieve trapped air. Being on the outside of the opening, it would resist air invasion from the outside.

Reply to
JawBone

Most doors, especially those with dual closers, pretty explicitly explain the process. Also, at the end of the "throw", as the door approaches closed, there is more pressure exerted; are you so far off you're not getting to that point? The comments about the trapped air of course are also all valid. I find that it may take mine several seconds to actually latch if they don't make it before the inside door closes, but they do make it. If there isn't enough natural air escape, create some so the air can go outdoors. Makes it easier to close doors, too, from the inside.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

re: "are you so far off you're not getting to that point? "

I'm not sure what you are asking.

As I said in my OP:

"I can adjust the closures to smoothly close and latch the door with the entry door open, but it "just misses" latching when the entry door is closed."

What "point" are you asking me if I'm so far off from?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Anything hitting the door knob?

Reply to
Oren

It should close with the window partly down just as if the other door was open., The air pressure build-up with the window open more than an inch of so is zero. The suggestion that maybe something was hitting is much more likely.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yep. Sometimes they are a bitch.

Reply to
Tony

Are the closers adjustable? Little screw to increase pressure?

Reply to
Thomas

No...there is a ton of clearance between the knobs.

Nothing is obstructing the storm door.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nothing is hitting anything. Having seen that issue before, I made sure that everything would clear as I was installing the door.

re; "The air pressure build-up with the window open more than an inch of so is zero."

I disagree. Hold a screen up in a breeze and tell me that you don't notice a decrease in the wind speed. Any decent screen will slow the air down enough to prevent a "gently closing" closure from latching. Yes, the air will eventually go through the screen, but once's it's stop it's travel, it may not start up again, especially since it now has to overcome the resistance of the latch.

This door have has a fairly substantial "mortise style" latching mechanism, so it takes a bit of pressure to depress the latch itself. It's not one of those cheap "clip" latches.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Read the thread.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sorry. If you have the length of the cylinder arm too short, it'll never get to retract to the "almost closed" point where the increase in pull pressure increases to pull the last bit for the latching of the door. I don't know that all closers are like that, but the ones in this house do, even the old ones.

Travel of the rod in the cylinder from open to closed.

Normal pull strength Increased pull strength |---------------------------------------------|------|

If the door is only partly opened or the rod isn't pulled out far enough the increased pull area isn't reached. Also, with the top closer, be sure it's strength is set to be the same or as close as you can to the middle one. You set that of course with the screw in the end of the housing.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

om,

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Increased pull

re: "If you have the length of the cylinder arm too short"

I installed the closures per the instructions - set the hold open latch just beyond the protrusions on the arm, mount the jamb side bracket anywhere for 1/4" to 1" from the closed door (I'm at about

1/2"), attach the door end bracket wherever it lands on the closed door.

I'm not sure how I would make the "cylinder arm too short".

re: "with the top closer, be sure it's strength is set to be the same or as close as you can to the middle one. "

It's Top and Bottom. no middle. In any case, both screws are set the same.

re: "...to pull the last bit for the latching of the door"

You are aware that the problem only exists with the entry door closed, right? It latches fine with the entry door open.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

m,

.com,

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Increased pull

Have you had anyone look at it besides yourself. Frankly, it just doesn't make much sense that the slight air resistance of the open screen keeps the door from latching.

Reply to
hrhofmann