Wiring of garden water features

I have been asked to install a small garden water feature that needs an electrical supply to run a small pump. The thing comes complete with integral pump and 10m of cable attached. It is to be fitted within 1m of the house and there is already a power point just inside the adjacent wall. This is a new house with RCD protection built in.

Is there anything wrong with passing the cable through the wall, putting a plug on it and plugging it in when required?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I hope not - that's how our pond pumps are wired.

Reply to
Geoffrey

The transformer should be inside, unless it says otherwise.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

What transformer? The OP described a mains cable I thought?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Well so did I, but I've never heard of a 240v pond pump.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

They are common and widely available.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Ahh, that's why I've never seen one then ;-)

I guess I've just assumed that a pond pump would always be low voltage, but I guess not.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Chiz, chiz, chiz.

Dave