Accurate drilling

For some reason I have agreed to make a bunk bed for my brother. It needs to be capable of assembly and dis-assembly, so I am propsing to make the ends as one solid piece and then attach the sides using m6 bolts and cross dowels.

Any advice on how to accurately drill through the ends and into the sides for the bolts and then drill through the sides for the cross dowels? I only have hand-held drills, although I don't see how a drill stand would help with this problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In message , Jonathan writes

You could make up a drilling jig. Use a block of Oak or something hard and use someone else's drill press to get the holes accurately spaced and vertical.

Clamp the jig to your work piece and carefully drill the holes. Watch jig orientation for the matching set of holes.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks that sounds like the way forward.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

This might be useful, makes sure that you are plumb in both planes:

drill will need the standard 40 odd mm dia nose to fit the clamp, normally used for the side handle. Battery drill/drivers tend not to have that.

Also suggest that you only drill the ends and sides as seperate operations for the first hole and do the end first for that. Then use that hole as a guide for the hole in the side, drill the cross hole and fit the bolt and dowel finger tight or just nipped. Then drill the next hole right through the end and into the side in one operation, cross hole and fit bolt etc as before. Work around the structure checking it for square and alignment as you go.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave. I've ordered the cheaper but similar equivalent from

as I can see a use for it on other tasks.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan