AA Battery chargers

Our Duracell NiMH AA/AAA recharger has died. I have recently added some

1700 mAh batteries to the mix of original 1300 mAh ones, which may or may not have precipitated its death. I am looking for a replacement charger, able to sensibly recharge these, preferably in any mix. Are there any brands/models known to be good or bad?

I'll look at Maplin, CPC, etc, but personal recommendations are always welcome.

Reply to
Davey

I've got an Ansmann Energy 8 Plus - and it's brilliant.

Not cheap though - you didn't give an indication of price so don't know if this is in range

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Well worth paying the extra for proper "smart" chargers rather than the bargain basement: smart chargers make sure a mixed set all get "filled", and don't destroy cells by overcharging.

Reply to
newshound

I saw the Ansmann name (which I don't know) all over the CPC site, so that is a good recommendation from you. Yes, that's a high price (although they offer one used at 50p!), but Ansmann have a good range. Many thanks.

Looking at the spec. for my dead Duracell charger, it says that its Output was 360 mAh, but it was supplied with (4) AA NiMH batteries, each with a charging draw of 130 mA, so it could not, in theory, even provide full charge for a full load of (4) cells, requiring 520mA. So adding some 170mA cells probably did for it.

Reply to
Davey

I would agree, with my little knowledge. Hopefully a cheaper Ansmann will still be Smart enough. I don't need to charge 8 cells at once, for example.

The Duracell was supposed to be 'microprocessor controlled', but I think I just overloaded it by using higher capacity cells, defeating any brain power it had by brute force.

Reply to
Davey

When I investigated a couple of years ago I ended up with the Technoline BL700 intelligent, AA and AAA. I also gradually moved over to Eneloop batteries after chasing high power batteries only to learn that they had high internal resistance. I nearly threw away a digital camera until someone pointed me in the Eneloop direction. Camera sits in boot of car - months at a time and still fires up when needed.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I have found this to be pretty good. Being intelligent, it will also refresh tired batteries.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's not really the case as most chargers charge 2 cells at a time so yo only have 2X130ma of current being drawn at a time rather than 4X130ma

I'm not to sure about the fast 1 hour charges or whether they are worth using. I have a couple of chargers at work that I use. good value

and a discontinued uni-ross.

Reply to
whisky-dave

This one is specifically designed to take 4 batteries at once, either (4) AAs or AAAs, or (2) of each. It worked fine until recently, at about the time I added the higher power cells to the mix.

Reply to
Davey

Yes, I have read about the Eneloop batteries. But first, I need to get a charger.

Reply to
Davey

Thanks. I did come across that one during my researching. Good to have a recommendation, thanks.

Reply to
Davey

The Aldi charger does the business normally less than £15 when they have them but I haven't seen one in the shops for a while. Can do 2 x D, 6 x AA/AAA and two PP3. The bays for the D/AA/AAA are shared. "Computerised" so checks each cell and then charges as required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have the Lidl version badged Tronic which is the same by your description. One extra feature is it is self contained - no wall wart. It's been in regular use since I bought it several years ago - excellent device. Think I saw them in Lidl recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seconded, though it can be confused by a cell that has been reverse charged by being the weakest in a set of 2 or more used in a device. They are rejected as dead. A few seconds in parallel with an ordinary alkaline cell with charge them enough for the charger to recognise them (or keep a cheap dumb charger to hand).

As it will also measure cell capacity, it is useful in grouping sets of cells to equalise actual capacity.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

It seems that cells need slow charging but chargers boast of speed. Even buying LSD NiMH cells and charger together, from Aldidl, there's a mismatch between them. I always charge 4 cells together to mitigate the need for speed.

High capacity won't make any difference - just take longer. If the cells are indeed high power (cordless drills etc.) then the internal resistance would be low. Surely any worthwhile charger should be able to limit its own output so as not to commit suicide.

Reply to
PeterC

Ah, that's the one I referred to above. It's charging rate exceeds the recommended rate for the cells. Works well though.

Reply to
PeterC

Mine also take 4 cells at a time in sets of 2 only.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Will it charge NiZn batteries?

Is it any better than this Accupower unit which is cheaper:

The Accupower is not suitable for NiZn batteries.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have one too (well, mine's not the plus), recommended

Reply to
Andy Burns

As well as the Energy8, I have an older Energy4 Speed, it only does AA/AAA but will work from 240V or from a cigar lighter, it has a fan to cool the batteries as it charges them quickly.

Reply to
Andy Burns