A question for plasterers

Pretty frequently now on newly boarded skimmed ceilings .... after the plasterer has well gone (3 months ish) I am finding that where the boards are screwed to the supports, the plaster is failing in little disc shapes ..ie, it falls right off in some cases. It is a high rate of failure in old and new builds.

What is the cause ... not screwed in enough, or screwed in too far and breaking the paper?

Whatever it is .. it wants sorting !

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

It's often caused by numpties nailing stuff down on top of the joists, IE floorboards, studwork, or in the case of lofts, people bouncing about and not using crawlboards, plumbers/electricians banging holes in joists etc.

Reply to
Phil L

Also worse if plasterboard is nailed rather than screwed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps the plasterer should have given a warning - do not do anything above this ceiling...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you can do anything you want, but don't be surprised when the screwheads blow the plaster off

Reply to
Phil L

Im my experience it has nothing to do with people jumping on the surface above, it is the application or the type of screws used. I think they have a plastic bit on them which I cannot see plaster adhering to for long.

I do not see the problem on old ceilings other than the usual cracks where the edge of the boards are, as joists setle etc.

The void above in a lot of cases is probably less than six inches, as in loft conversions, so you cannot blame other tradesman.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

  1. I have had better results with "black" plaster board screws and plain plaster
  2. cover the screw holes with plaster jointing adhesive before plastering.
  3. Apply a dab of PVA before plastering.

I have taken to number 2 and not had any failures for ages.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4097 (20090522) __________

Ian_m

Do you think I could stick the fallen-off bits back on with PVA? (The wall is already painted and I don't have any paint left...)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We've lived in our current house for 27 years which was a new build. Internal walls downstairs block and upstairs plasterboard. I've made no alterations during the time we have lived here apart from chasing in a couple of cables. The roof is supported by preformed trusses.

In all the time we have lived here, I've had to replace about 6 plasterboard nail divots. Most were when the house was about 10 years old. We originally had 50% double glazing and 50% secondary. Initially, though despite having eves ventilation of the roof space, we did have condensation issues. I resolved these by initially having a dehumidifier on the landing as most condensation was upstairs.

Eventually, I learnt that the principal source in our house was from the kitchen and as a result placed the dehumidifier in there with great success.

We store a significant amount of "valuable", no, not true, but sentimental stuff in the loft some of which is of considerable weight. These things are are placed across the timbers with no boarding. I guess that I go into the loft two to three times a year striding along the timbers.

This is only a thought: it could be variations in humidity and temperature that are causing divots to fall out.

Reply to
Clot