A pestilence upon my bloody boiler! (help please)

Sunday: Coldest night of the year so far down here and.... The main gas valve solenoid on my old boiler goes on the fritz! It's a late'70s/early 80's "Concord WRS" if that means anything? I urgently need a replacement solenoid (or complete valve if it's not rebuildable). Anyone please know of oanywhere I can find spares for this unit? (before we all freeze to death!) many thanks in advance, JB

Look on the bright side, we don`t have any central heating :-/

we
HRPC. They are nationwaide. http://www.hrpc.co.uk /

If you're annoyed at a 20 year old boiler for breaking down, prepared to be *very* annoyed when you eventually replace it.
--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat.*

But Dave, we have been reliably informed that a new boiler will last 20 years without problems, if you remember ..
--
geoff

Who said without problems? In 20 years expect a few hiccups, even RRs needs new parts in 20 years, but no need to rip it off the wall and replace.

writes

Really ?
--
geoff

needs
yep.

writes

B&Q warehouse near Portsmouth have a Baxi Barcelona condensing boiler, which should last all of 2 years :-) . I noticed it behind the pile of Ravenheat combis and enquired its price (knowing that it the worst condensing boiler ever made) - none of the helpful people could find out its price - not listed on their computer at all. After many phone calls to their central warehouse they decide the price was 810. I wonder what poor sod is going to buy it.
--
Andrew (change .P. to .k. to reply)

prepared
20
Where do you get this notion the Barcelona was the worst ever made? 810 is rip off or they got it wrong.

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:07:23 +0000, Andrew wrote:

I'd take it only if they gave me 810. Could be good for spares I suppose.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I remember 2 years ago, barcelona pcbs were dropping like flies and Baxi didn't have a single pcb in the country, 8 - 10 weeks lead time
--
geoff

With having to replace heat exchangers and PCBs on most with some regularity, broom and handle spring to mind. Plus the fact that spares are always well marked up compared to the complete thing.
--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:04:22 +0000, JB wrote:

The good news is that boirs of this age tended to use generic gas valves source for a handful of manufacturers. Which means that you local heating spare shop or HRPC (online) will likely be able to help.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

we
Many thanks for your help. I've had a reply back from Ideal Boilers giving me a reference for the valve.
"If your boiler is a WRS 240/255 or 230a which ceased production in 1978/1982, the gas valve is still available and the part no for it is 003114 Honeywell V4600A1023 240volt "
There seems to loads of them of the same type in the online catalogues too. Now to find a registered fitter! Thanks to all who replied. cheers, JB