a message for 'Huge'

Oh yes! D'you reckon that's her in the hat up the ladder? ;)

(As an aside...if that stroppy bugger who was whinging earlier about posters who don't have the cojones to post under their own name is reading this thread - as far as I'm concerned, here's a good reason why!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , alan writes

When Huge calls someone a f****it, the probability is that they are a f****it. Get over it.

As regards your original question, this is the answer to your worries:

Mike Tomlinson

Volts make electric fields, currents make magnetic fields. Both together make electromagnetic fields.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, no. Current makes a magnetic field which is why the compass moves. A compass is unaffected by an electric field.

Reply to
dennis

*blush*
Reply to
Huge

I think you will find I said that about three hours earlier...

Reply to
John Rumm

measured in V/m).

Einstein reckoned that they were the same phenomenon viewed from different angle, as it were.

Reply to
Graham.

I think Matron has turned his bedside light off for tonight.

Reply to
Graham.

Heaven forbid that he uses - Electric blankets (my god) Mobile phones Wireless doorbells Wireless thermostats WiFi Power lines Headphones TV Radio Wireless weather stations Torches Cars Ignition devices on his narrow boat Fridges Freezers Bird scarers

brass monkey

grip with some folks. The media scare stories don't help, and the woeful lack of basic understanding of science coupled with a lack of numerical competency or analytical thinking by reporters does not help. How many times do people hear scary "facts" like doing x makes you "50% more likely to die from green monkey disease" or whatever? The crucial bit of information always omitted being the actual risk in the first place which would make it obvious that you are worrying about a risk, that even if real, has changed from 1 in a 20 million to 1 in 10 million.

I knew one lady once who would see some TV program or read an article, and then get all worked up about the dangers that she was exposed to. At one point some quack (sorry, alternative health "professional") warned her that she should not eat microwaved food for some reason, and she ended up convinced this was because microwaves (whatever they were) must be dangerous. Hence she would no longer go in the kitchen if the oven had been on recently (she was convinced they escaped form the oven and bounced around the room for ten minutes after!). No amount of rational explanation or comparison to other forms of EM radiation she was familiar with (i.e. light) would allay the fear (the usual response, of "but how do you know?"). Another time she read something about dust mites and saw the usual electron microscope photo or one looking all menacing and scary. From then on she was terrified of these. In fact she got all worked up about what to do with an old pillow she found at the back of a cupboard, that she had convinced herself must be "crawling" with them. Although even I had to admire the simple logic of her solution; she microwaved it!

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Huge writes

Thanks for the tip. I love their FAQ :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

My favourite bit: "So if the government issued a subpeona to Mailinator to divulge emails or logs, you'd rat me out?"

"Holy crap, yes. I'm not going to jail for you, I have a boyish face and very (very) supple skin."

Reply to
John Rumm

So you did, shame that usenet is asynchronous and that some messages never even make it onto some servers. If it were a synchronous service I could have told you the second you posted it. Wouldn't that be more fun.

Reply to
dennis

Ah, so its usenet's fault rather than you jumping in without reading? ;-)

(odd how we normally manage to have message exchanges in well under 10 mins in other threads huh)

Reply to
John Rumm

I do have other things to do.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

I think we all wish you would f*ck off and do them

Reply to
geoff

It wasn't

Reply to
geoff

She was a self opinionated argumentative pain in the arse

Reply to
geoff

Steve Firth's mum?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , geoff writes

Perhaps:-)

I have actually met Mary and found her quite good value. Possibly a little fond of alcohol.

Kiss of death for any small newsgroup is *the group meet*. This was uk.business.agriculture which has trended down ever since.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb