a message for 'Huge'

This morning, I posted a very simple question, more or less summed up in the post's title: "does wiring usually approach a wall socket from above or below?" OK, I added that I was worried about the danger of electrical fields - yes, I know that sounds a silly worry to have, but since when has there been a law against having silly worries when one's health is concerned?

I was polite at all times in that post.

When later on I protested against some of the rude replies I got, someone called 'Huge' posted this:

"You're an idiot. You came into a public space and said something stupid. Some people patted you on the back, said "there, there" and hoped you would go soon. Some people said it like it is. If you don't like that, get the nurse to take you back to your room, perhaps someone else would like to use the PC? "

I'll just say this, Huge, or whatever your name is: you're acting like this for one reason and one reason only, namely, because you're a pathetic little coward, and you know the Internet is the finest thing ever invented for gutless wonders like yourself, because it allows you to attack people from the safety of distance and anonymity.

I post from a real email address with my own name on it - you post from something called " snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.much.invalid". I think that says it all.

If you were standing in front of me, man to man, I haven't the slightest doubt you wouldn't dare speak to me like that. In fact, I'm willing to bet you've never dared to speak to ANYONE like that face to face in your whole life. Anonymous sniping is the only thing spineless creatures like yourself have the balls for.

Get back under your stone where it's nice and safe.

Reply to
alan

You weren't being accused of breaking a law.

Actually, he has. I happen to know him.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I know all about spambots - that's why the email address I use here is only for Usenet. It's the only Yahoo address I have.

But it's still my real name - the point being that I've got the courage to put my name to anything I say in public, unlike some here.

Sorry for my innocence, but I expect people to be civilised. I don't expect people, when I ask them for a bit of advice, to be crass and rude. That's the way people behave toward me in everyday life - why should the Internet be any different?

Building up one's ego by putting down a total stranger is pretty cheap behaviour - perhaps the preserve of men with masculinty issues, but that's just my guess.

Reply to
alan

When the evil scrotes that inhabit this world harvest your e-mail address and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk starts getting spammed and the spamming increases to mammoth proportions, you might - I don't say you will, but you might - just get some idea why only the naive - or the stupid - use real e-mail addresses on Usenet ...

Electrical cables run through walls, over ceilings and under floors and I'll bet that, in the majority of cases, you haven't a clue as to where they might or might not be.

If you are really worried about cables in close proximity to your bed, I suggest you try sleeping in a tent.

But do make sure there are no pylons or overhead cables around, won't you?

I trust my response is suitably polite?

Reply to
Terry Casey

alan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

What do you do when a random loony wanders up to you and starts spouting? Do you invite them in for a cup of tea and a nice little chat?

You, "alan", _are_ that random loony.

Reply to
Adrian

That wasn't an announcement, it was a flounce :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I sense a serious change of approach here as you did not merely "add that you were worried about the danger of electrical fields." It was the main reason for your post

I quote from your op

" But my main concern is electrical fields. Sitting up in bed reading, the socket would be only inches from my head."

If you really want to resolve your "silly worry" buy one of these

do the tests and post the results

I am sure that regular contributers here would be able to put the results in perspective for you

Baer in mind also that the site you provided a link to which presumably has fuelled your fears gives the views of someone who is not even an MD in the USA and has not published anything on electrical fields see

TMC

You're on form tonight, are you the nominated driver :-?

Reply to
fred

Seems like you need to "man up" a bit alan.

Reply to
John Rumm

And remember: this is usenet. Which means I reserve the right to say X today and not-X tomorrow :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think you may have cocked-up in the first instance by not unscrewing the socket and taking a look, it's simple enough. There's a plethora of websites pertaining to electric fields and health, e.g, -

how are you going to distance yourself from field strength? It's everywhere. I have to admit to enjoying huge's no-nonsense posts. I also attempt to post anonymously although a valid address is available if you're interested.

Reply to
brass monkey

In what respect is "alan" more real than "Adrian"? Drongo.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Voltage, yes, current, no. Current is needed to make an electric field.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

To be honest, it's not that bad. You do get some spam, but not a huge amount. I use Mailwasher to filter my email on several accounts. The one I use for usenet doesn't get 'mammoth proportions' more than others I use.

Reply to
OG

Shirley, in a ring circuit any socket will have a current if any other socket in the ring has a load. Not saying Phil L is right, but you may be wrong.

Reply to
OG

"Current is needed to make an electric field." This may be wrong? The issue was "the bedside lamp has power to it even when it's switched off", nothing about current in other circuits in the wall.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Yes, please do snip all context in order to make your "point". I had already pointed out that the braggart in question had asserted that I would not dare to meet him and speak to him in RL as I had on Usenet.

Where did I claim that the matter was about me being "right"?

He was a typical Usenet bully, big behind a keyboard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

OG gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's definitely still a factor. I've been using this GMail address on Usenet for ages.

It used to have a rolling 30-day spam folder of ~2500 to 3000 messages. Now it's rarely over 500.

However, another GMail address which has never been aired on Usenet sits at a small fraction even of that.

Reply to
Adrian

Sigh. Is our education system really *that* shot.

No offense Gib.

Right:

Voltage results in an electric field (hint, electric field strength is measured in V/m).

Moving charge (ie current) results in a magnetic field.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The problem is overstated.

My email address above is my real everyday one.

I run Spam Assassin. The actual SPAM I see and find most annoying is from everytime I touch a new supplier and then the spam me with their crap. But at least most of the bona fide ones have an unsubcribe link that works.

These days, you are pretty much dead if you don't have a spam filter or live on an email system that includes one, and they can cope perfectly well with a bit of USENET harvesting.

Reply to
Tim Watts