A little snow had began to fall....

Light dusting of snow and the whole of the south east has ground to a complete halt!

Granddaughters school closed, M2 impassable, busses & trains out.

This sort of weather should be confined to areas north of Wotfud if you ask me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Southern Jessies...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

Even the web servers are jessies:

"No suitable nodes are available to serve your request."

Personally, I'm looking forward to the drive to take my car in to be fixed. But ABS doesn't half take the fun out of life...

Hmm, still snowing - any more of this and Kent will start asking for International Aid...

Reply to
Tim S

I'm waiting for the first helicopter full of food parcels....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Only in the Sarf could this happen. The map is right where it says, just sarf of Yorvik: "'ere be dragons!".

Vikings Rule OK?

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Hardly surprised that some schools are closed...e.g. Fort Pitt is at the top of a cliff!

Further east, all pretty normal. Boys got on a slightly delayed train to Ramsgate, no trouble.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A lot of ABS is best turned off in extremely slippery conditions. Why nor turn it off and have fun anyway?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Only things moving are 4WD. How ecologicaly disastrous. No London busses!

haha.

Well the trusty land rover will get through as long as its not 2 ft drifts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Helicopter full of MONEY these days..Govt cant afford to buy anything, just print money.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aye, because we _LIKE_ it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Invisible Man gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not in "extremely slippery conditions". In loose snow, yes, so the snow can pack and wedge in front of the locked wheels. On packed snow or ice, you want it. It won't defy the laws of physics, though, so you still won't actually stop. But you might have a slightly better chance.

Reply to
Adrian

Wycombe area here!

One of the quietest days I have ever known here. A mere handful of vehicles on a road that frequently has lots. Think schools are closed - children seen going off tobogganing. The problem roads are likely to be the hills.

Clearing a bit of snow was an enjoyable few minutes. Fresh fall is so easy compared to trodden, half-melted, compacted stuff.

Even started to melt a bit. And no fall at the moment.

Big realisation - there is no useful information on local roads. BBC Local Traffic page - only weather related problem for Bucks is the M25 and M4. Local paper site is not working. (Crap even if it were working.) Traffic England only cares about motorways and a few major roads (and is barely working). Our immediately local roads look quite passable with care. But if the other roads are impassable I'd like to know before I get there.

Reply to
Rod

Do you have to pay when someone drops a food parcel to you? :-)

Reply to
Rod

Not a light dusting here in Balham (South London for those who've never heard of Peter Sellers) - it's near enough a foot thick on the common. Last time it was this heavy was in the late '80s. The dog loves it, though. I should have been working but they've postponed the shoot. Still get paid, though. Yummy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Invisible Man coughed up some electrons that declared:

Because I can't?

I've got a jessie car to go with being a big jessie girl's blouse living in a jessie county.

hehe

Reply to
Tim S

That was fun.

VW said I need a new vent pipe on the diesel preheater 'cos it's spewing smoke everywhere - come back Friday. Car computers have apparently been whining about everything - odd because nothing they whined about is actually broken. Computers reset.

Nipped into Travis Perkins for some SBR (running some experiments on various pots of sand to test its ability to stabilise crap).

Got stuck on the slope (jessie tyres in a jessie 4x2).

Found a shovel and the grit, nicked a bucket ("sorry mate - don't have a bucket to hand, we're only a builders' merchant". - FFS I'll help meself). Dug car out. Hmm - that's my morning excercise.

Returned borrowed shovel and nicked bucket. Went home, photographed snowman that has appeared in garden. Nicked kids' playsand and old playdoh tubs and set up some damp sand+SBR experiments. We'll see later what happens there...

Southeastern Trains managed to get it up (web server). It say:

"Please note due to poor weather conditions, we are currently not running any train services into or out of London."

Jessies...

Reply to
Tim S

Sat with my wife whilst she had her first driving-in-snow experience this morning. She was a bit nervous at first just like you southern wussies but a lot more confident now.

(from north of Wotfud)

Reply to
AnthonyL

We need the contingency of movable public holidays for such weather conditions. If everyone was paid to stay at home in bad weather, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Save the expense suffered at present.

Reply to
Adrian C

Unfortunately, the fewer who use the roads, the less the vehicles clear them. So the day after will be even worse. But I do like the basic idea.

Reply to
Rod

have you tried

lists all the roads near me that are unusable today due to snow/ice.

Reply to
Jim Kane