A huge electric bill in prospect?

You'd hope they'd be a bit more prepared (e.g. temporary 32A commando plug on a cooker or shower circuit) rather than two 13A plugs with welders fuses on a Y cable ;-)

Nice that calculating from a different direction comes to a similar estimate.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why. Its correct. Its about what a small windmill puts out in a force 9 gale.

and surely

60A trip at 240v is around 144kW... 10 hours at that rate would be 1440 units or at 10p a unit 144 quid give or take.

You'll have to allow for

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's just a matter of time...

Reply to
Adam Funk

I strongly recommend you do.

I'm not a biker, but even I think it's gob-smacking.

Reply to
Huge

Wow. A 117mph lap.

Reply to
Huge

They could have had multiple bikes (or chargers, if the battery pack splits into sections for charging) on multiple plugs.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There is a big difference in energy needed between pootling around at 20 mph and racing.

Unless you thing an F1 petrol car gives better MPG than a Mini, because it's lighter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this a comprehension problem of yours, or just your normal lack of technical nous?

Which part of "Ideally we need to know the energy density of the battery pack for an accurate answer" did you not understand?

Which I and others did - as it turns out, I guessed at about double the actual value, but since it turns out the continuous power rating of the motor is only 70kW, rather than 120kW, it was actually not a bad guess.

I made no mention of "tripping"... perhaps those pills you have been popping are having that effect on you?

Which part of "ok a wild stab in the dark: (figures could be out by a significant margin!)" did you not understand?

This is why you have such a poor grasp of engineering harry.

You will note that a number of people here managed to take what limited data were available, and arrive at an estimated answer to a question from first principles and some educated guesswork. The answers were all relatively close, as well. Meanwhile you sit there scratching your arse, spluttering "drivel" as if that is a relevant contribution to a discussion!

Now we have more information (from Jonno's link) we actually know the battery capacity is 14kWh and has a 5 hour standard charge time, or 1.5 hours with a fast charger. We also know the battery technology is LiPo which has a very high charge efficiency - so the main cause of energy loss in charging will be heat losses from the charger.

Its probably safe to assume the "standard" charger will be designed to run from a socket and will limit itself to 3kW or 12.5A. The five hour charge would thus consume 15kWh.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Almost...

Shows how crap in comparison the technology is in your car must be then... the whole bike is less than 300kg and has a 14kWh[1] battery.

[1] note the proper use of units - it seems some round here don't understand energy or power!

Yes that's a realistic assumption for a bike designed to lap a race course that is nearly 40 miles long - NOT!

Reply to
John Rumm

Well there you go. The bikes battery is 30% the size of mine. (16Kwh) Ergo the energy capacity is around 16 x 30/100. So it's around five or six Kwh capacity. No other information needed, everything else is drivel. So it'll cost £1.50 per charge if electricity costs £0.25/Kwh

Reply to
harry

It does 120 miles at UK legal speeds unlike harry's milk float..

Reply to
dennis

Too true, m8. BTW, did I ever tell you about that time I went on a diet and lost 7.5 horsepower?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

?? Is this some kind of fancy, metaphysical, existential, hypotheticising you're indulging in here?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sorry, where on earth did you get the 60A trip from??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

He traded it for a decimal point, 144kw my arse!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ooops!

Got some kind of fever to day - sorry.

60A or 100A is generally what a house is rated at on a single phase
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Do you not know anything about motorsport?

Reply to
Huge

Who asked you? I'm waiting for some clarification from Mr. Liquorice.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom